The Abiola family of Abeokuta in Ogun on Friday demanded for an official recognition of late chief M.K.O Abiola as an ex-president of Nigeria.
The Head of the Family, Chief Olanrewaju Abiola, made the demand on President Muhammadu Buharui at the family house in Abeokuta.
The late M.K.O Abiola was believed to have won the June 12, 1993 presidential elections.
Abiola said the recognition had become necessary for Nigerian leaders to rule in peace.
He commended Buhari for conferring a posthumus highest national honour of the Grand Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (GCFR) on Late Abiola and recognising June 12 as Nigeria’s authentic Democracy Day.
Also in Newzandar News: JUNE 12: Yoruba, not northerners, destroyed Abiola’s chances to be President — Maradin Katsina
He, however, urged the president to actualise the mandate that Nigerians gave to his late junior brother, Moshood, on June 12, 1993, by conferring an official status of an ex-president of the nation on him.
Abiola also demanded that all the entitlements that should have accrued to his late brother from 1993 to date should be fully paid to the family.
He called on Buhari to liase with the National Assembly to debate the issue and subsequently pass it as a law.
“On June 12, last year when I spoke with the president, he said he has given him the honour, but we want it in black and white.
“Let the members of the National Assembly debate it and pass it into law.
“Moshood was the bread winner of the family and since his death, the family members have been suffering,” he said. (Newzandar News)
Newzandar News Newzandar News News
- Thank God Abiola didn’t become President – Nigerians blast Jamiu Abiola
- An Armed Robber Who Ambushed Abiola Later Became A Governor’ – Zainab Abiola(Widow)
- Why IPOB won’t work, recognize Obiozor as Ohanaeze President-General – Nnamdi Kanu
- Nobody will recognize Mahama as President if he forms a parallel gov’t – Kofi Akpaloo
- I can’t recognize an ‘Election Thief’ as President – Sam George to Akufo-Addo
- June 12: Family urges FG to recognise Abiola as ex-President
- After barely surviving COVID-19, mother now doesn’t recognize newborn
- Constitution does not recognize Minister of State – Reps hit Keyamo
- Coronavirus patient says she didn’t recognize her body after double lung transplant
- Bahrain reportedly will be fourth Arab country to recognize Israel