A school has threatened a Muslim schoolgirl’s parents with court action for refusing to send her to school in a shorter skirt.
Siham Hamud, 12, had been wearing an ankle-length skirt to school for years, but was allegedly told the school uniform was incorrect last month, December 2020.
Her father Idris, 55, said Siham was sent home from Uxbridge High School to change every day in December, and told to return wearing the correct uniform, but she refused.
The school, Uxbridge High School, in Hillingdon, west London, says girls should wear black trousers or a black pleated skirt from official uniform suppliers, which the family says falls above the knee. Idris, who has 8 kids, said both uniform choices go against his family’s Islamic religion.
The family said they recently discovered a new school uniform rule about skirts was introduced two years ago, stating shorter school-branded skirts had to be worn. But the family claim they didn’t know, and Siham continued wearing her longer skirt, unaware until she was pulled up on December 1. She was sent home to change but didn’t return, and the same thing happened each day for the three weeks of term in December, her family said.
The school, has now threatened Idris and his wife Salma Yusuf, 44, with legal action over Siham’s alleged unauthorised absences.
Siham, who is currently studying from home due to lockdown restrictions, said:
‘It feels like bullying because of what I believe. ‘I think they should just let me wear my school uniform to school. I like school normally, and English, drama and RE are my favourite lessons but I couldn’t attend.
‘I find it annoying because I’ve missed a month of school, so I have to catch up a lot. I wish I could just have gone to school as normal. ‘It makes me feel left out, because I can’t see my friends either. They aren’t accepting me for my religion and that’s wrong.
Idris, an athletics coach, added: ‘My daughter is being denied an education because of her religious beliefs. ‘All Siham wants to do is to wear a skirt which is a few centimetres longer than her classmates, and I don’t know why the school has such a problem with this.
‘She is sent home to change into a shorter skirt then return to school later that day, but she isn’t going to change her beliefs in an hour.
‘The school is threatening to take legal action against me, but I’m not forcing her to wear a longer skirt – it’s her faith and her decision to make.’
In a letter threatening legal action, the school wrote: ‘Siham’s absence is being recorded as unauthorised.
‘Unauthorised absence may result in a fine being issued, or legal action being taken against the adults who have parental responsibility or day-to-day care of your child.
‘Legal action can be in the form of a penalty notice or a summons to the magistrates’ court.
‘I must ask that you support the school and your daughter by ensuring that she attends school in full school uniform with immediate effect.’
The school’s principal, Nigel Clemens, said: ‘This matter is currently subject to examination through the formal school complaints policy. It would therefore not be appropriate to comment further at this time.’
- Abeokuta tanker explosion: Alaba Lawson schools beg parents to calm down [VIDEO]In NewsJanuary 19, 2021Kaduna State Government on Tuesday confirmed that its troops laid ambush and neutralized two bandits in Kagarko Local Government Area of the State. ...[Read more]
- Leicester City vs Chelsea: Lampard’s squad for EPL clash confirmedIn EPL, SportsJanuary 19, 2021Chelsea manager, Frank Lampard, has named the Blues’ squad to face Leicester City in today’s Premier League fixture. According to Football London, ...[Read more]
- Moment suspected yahoo boys ate live chicken during ritual (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 19, 2021A group of young men suspected to be yahoo boys has been spotted in a video eating a live chicken for ritual purposes presumably. In the video ...[Read more]
- Asante Kotoko announce partnership deal with Premier League side SouthamptonIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 19, 2021Ghana Premier League side, Kumasi Asante Kotoko, have announced a partnership with Premier League club, Southampton. The partnership with the South ...[Read more]
- Comic Craze Clown In A Cry Battle With His Baby PrincessIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021Having children comes with a lot and just recently, Comic Craze Clown and fiancee, Jojo welcomed their bundle of joy, Gia into this world. However, ...[Read more]
- AGF, Malami SAN to declare journalists’ Conference open January 21In NewsJanuary 19, 2021Poultry farmers on the platform of Poultry Association of Nigeria (PAN) on Tuesday raised the alarm that farmers in the country are going to lose ...[Read more]
- APC was a hurried arrangement formed to take power, If Buhari surrounded himself with good people the story today won’t be the same – OkorochaIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021Senator representing Imo West senatorial district on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, Rochas Okorocha has described his party as a ...[Read more]
- I Won’t Reply You- James Brown Warns People Who Asks Him For MoneyIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021Nigerian cross dresser, James Brown has come to say what he would do to people who ask him for money.The cross dresser posted on his Insta story ...[Read more]
- Troops kill two bandits in Kaduna villageIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021Poultry farmers on the platform of Poultry Association of Nigeria (PAN) on Tuesday raised the alarm that farmers in the country are going to lose ...[Read more]
- COVID-19- FG Releases N10b To Support Domestic Production Of VaccinesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021The Federal Government has released the sum of N10billion to support domestic production of the COVID-19 Vaccines in Nigeria. Speaking on Monday at ...[Read more]