Mr. Uche Secondus, The National Chairman of the Peoples’ Democratic Party, has threatened Kasim Afegbua with a N1 billion suit if he failed to apologise to him for the defamation of his character
Secondus, in a letter he wrote to Afegbua through his lawyers, Mr. Kayode Ajulo, and Mr. Emeka Etiaba (SAN), dated April 29, 2023, said: “Take notice that if you fail to retract your said publications, apologise to our client in the said newspapers with the same prominence with which you published the offensive statements and pay the sum N1 billion (One Billion Naira) to him as damages (all within 48 hours from the date hereof), we shall proceed to institute an action to seek redress from a court of competent jurisdiction.”
Etiaba said that his client has served the PDP in the following capacities: Rivers State Chairman for eight years (1999-2007), National Organizing Secretary for four years (2007-2011), Deputy National Chairman for three years (2013-2015), Acting National Chairman for about one year (20I 5) and currently the National Chairman for over three years (2017 till date) without any blame or blemish.
He also said that at the federal government level, he served in various capacities including: Chairman, National Insurance Commission; First Chairman, National Identity Management Commission and Member of the Nigerian Railway Board.
Etiaba said: “It will interest you to know that in all the positions held by our client, he served creditably well and his reputation remains unblemished.
“Your publications, which you know to be false have therefore brought him to odium and has challenged his right standing in the society as a trustworthy character.”
Afegbua, who was a former Edo State Commissioner for Information, dragged the PDP before the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practice and Related Offences Commission (ICPC) over the management of the finances of the opposition party.
He alleged that the leadership has mismanaged close to N10 billion, which accrued from the sale of nomination forms for the presidential, gubernatorial, house of assembly and senatorial elections from 2017 to date.
But, responding to Afegbua’s petition, the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Mr. Kola Ologbondiyan, described the claim as “spurious” and “irresponsible.”
Ologbondiyan said that the PDP did not raise Afegbua’s fictitious sum of N10 billion as alleged by him, explaining that “for the avoidance of doubt, the PDP generated the sum of N4.6 billion and raised a budget for its expenditure, in line with all known financial regulations of our party.
Credit: News – Gistlover
- APC Crisis: El-Rufai, Fayemi, 3 others responsible for Oshiomhiole’s fall ― Afegbua
- APC Crisis: Oshiomhole victim of 2023 permutations ― Afegbua
- Edo election: Why I’ll never support Obaseki – PDP chieftain, Kassim Afegbua
- Edo election: PDP grabbing Gov Obaseki’s trousers by the pocket – Party chieftain, Kassim Afegbua
- Edo 2023: PDP Chieftain, Afegbua, pledges support for APC’s Ize-Iyamu
- There’s No Need For Reconciliation With Obaseki- Kassim Afegbua
- Probe PDP over Alleged Corruption – Afegbua to EFCC
- COVID-19: How we spent N1bn — Edo govt
- Post COVID-19: Sanwo-Olu approves N1bn seed capital for hospitality business
- Coronavirus: PTF disburses N1bn each to 32 states