Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State, has said he will sign the death warrant passed on a Kano-based singer, Sharif Yahya Aminu, for blasphemy.
Ganduje said he would okay his execution once his right of appeal elapses.
However, Ganduje said that for now, the singer has the right to appeal the judgement up to Supreme Court, “but I assure you that immediately the Supreme Court affirms the judgment, I will sign it without any hesitation.”
Ganduje, who was speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting of Ullamas, lawyers, university dons and other persons at Government House, Kano, Thursday, said he is ready to sign the death warrant once all avenues are exhausted.
Ganduje noted that no basis of any violence approach to the matter because government is on the top of situation.
“We have been following this matter from all angles and we will not leave any stone unturned until full justice is achieved.
“I will like to commend the Ullamas and the youths for their maturity in handling the matter if not it would have been a different story by now.”
“But for now, the man is having the grace of 30 days to appeal, if he does so, we will follow the matter to the Supreme Court, but if he doesn’t, immediately the days elapse, I will sign the death warrant and that is our position.”
Speaking on the development, Chairman of Kano chapter of Islamic Lawyers, Barrister Muhammad Sani Garba.
He said Muslims lawyers would follow the matter to Supreme Court and ensure that the death penalty stands, while Barrister Aminu Gadanya Kano NBA Chairman, explained that they support the verdict, but reminded them that the man has right to appeal.
- Sign singer Yahya Aminu’s death warrant immediately – Council of Imams tells Ganduje
- Blasphemy: I’m ready to sign death warrant against Kano singer – Ganduje
- Blasphemy: Coalition condemns Human Rights Organisations over Sharif Yahya’s death sentence objection
- Blasphemy: Banky W reacts to signing of Sharif’s death warrant by Ganduje
- Blasphemy: Primate Ayodele reveals what will happen if Yahaya Sharif-Aminu is killed
- Appeal court sets aside death sentence against singer Sharif Aminu, orders retrial
- Blasphemy: Gov Ganduje told to approve execution of Kano singer, Yahaya Aminu
- Singer’s death sentence: Council of Imams ask Ganduje to sign death warrant immediately
- I Won’t Waste A Minute Signing Death Warrant Of Musician Accused Of Blasphemy – Kano Governor, Ganduje
- Nigerians React To Death Sentence Of Yahaya Sharif-Aminu By Sharia Court