Singer JoJo has revealed that she has been battling depression for 10 years.
“Because there is a history of mental health issues in my family, I didn’t feel any shame seeking help,” the 29-year-old “Leave (Get Out)” performer told People.
JoJo has been going to therapy and taking antidepressants since she was 18 years old and used her mental health journey to inspire her new album “Good to Know.”
“Those of us who have a predisposition toward depression or a chemical imbalance — sometimes we just need a little help,” she shared.
Earlier this year, JoJo, whose real name is Joanna Levesque, opened up about entertainment-industry pressures that led to a 500-calorie diet.
“I’m sure a lot of us develop extreme insecurities and disordered eating and really unhealthy thinking about ourselves,” she said in the February 2022 interview with Uproxx. “I felt that how I was must have been not enough. Must have been dissatisfying.”
Her issues, both mental and physical, made her turn to alcohol to cope.
“I started getting really f—ked up, drinking, making out with strangers, looking for validation and attention and looking to feel pretty, looking to feel good, to feel worthy.”
Having overcome such obstacles, JoJo now uses journaling, yoga and exercise to complement her therapy and medicinal treatments.
“I looked at what I could control as opposed to what was out of my control,” she shared with People.
- Singer JoJo reveals clinical depression diagnosis
- Singer, J100 of MOD RECORDS is out with his hit Single JOJO’
- American singer, Brandy reveals she almost committed suicide, battled depression
- How I Almost Committed Suicide While Battling Depression – American Singer, Brandy Reveals
- ‘Evil Dead’ actor Danny Hicks reveals stage 4 cancer diagnosis
- Amy Schumer reveals Lyme disease diagnosis
- Vivica A. Fox reveals COVID-19 diagnosis at Emmys 2022
- Orioles star Trey Mancini reveals colon cancer diagnosis
- ”Save me”- Veteran singer, Baba Fryo cries out for help as he battles depression
- “I’M HAVING A SERIOUS DEPRESSION” – Veteran Singer, Baba Fryo Cries Out For Help