In a recent interview with Channel Television, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila said, “Like everything in life, there has to be regulation. We know that social media is perhaps the most potent instrument that can be used for good and can be used for the negative.
We welcome the good. We must not paper over the bad or the evil. That is my position about social media regulation. We must strike a balance, where peoples’ rights to speech are not infringed upon but where your rights to speech ends or begins, it is where my own rights or next person’s rights to protection begins.
Many more countries, democracies that we all look up to are already in the mood of regulating social media. National assembly has been contemplating regulation for a long time. Each time they do, people will kick. Why did you kick? They say freedom of speech.
It is a delicate balance. Very, very delicate. It is something we need to do as responsible. You heard of cyberbullying, children nagging themselves, killing themselves because of what is on social media. We do not want that.
It is something we need to do because we have a responsibility to protect every single citizen in this country and that is what we must do.”
The speaker believes that social media must be regulated to protect every citizen of the country against its negative sides.
- Lai Mohammed Says Social Media Must Be Regulated Before It Destroys Nigeria
- We Must Strike A Balance – Femi Gbajabiamila Bares Support For Social Media Regulation
- NYC freezes rents for all regulated units in response to coronavirus
- Dino Melaye drags speaker Femi Gbajabiamila to court over controversial âControl of Infectious Diseases Bill 2023â
- I’ll Not Support Any Legislation Aimed To Stifle The Press- Femi Gbajabiamila
- Infectious disease bill will go through public hearing – Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila says after his bill incited a controversy
- Femi Gbajabiamila Clears Air On Infectious Disease Bill
- Buhari Holds Meeting With Femi Gbajabiamila On How To Resolve Trade Disputes Between Ghana And Nigeria
- Nigeria owes Medical professionals for their dedication and patriotism-Femi Gbajabiamila
- Femi Gbajabiamila Visits Family Of Vendor Shot By His Security Aide (PHOTOS)