The Nigerian Supreme Court, today, quashed the judgement that convicted and sentenced the former governor of Abia State, Orji Uzor-Kalu, to 12 years imprisonment.
The apex court, in a unanimous decision by a seven-man panel of Justices led by Justice Amina Augie, held that the Federal High Court in Lagos acted without jurisdiction when it convicted Kalu, his firm, Slok Nigeria Limited and former Director of Finance in Abia State, Jones Udeogu.
It held that trial Justice Mohammed Liman was no longer a judge of the Federal High Court as at the time he sat and delivered the judgement that convicted the defendants for allegedly stealing about N7.1billion from Abia state treasury.
According to the Supreme Court, Justice Liman, having been elevated to the Court of Appeal before then, lacked the powers to return to sit as a High Court Judge.
It held that the Fiat that was issued to him by the Court of Appeal President pursuant to section 396(7) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act was unconstitutional.
Consequently, the apex court vacated the judgement that convicted the defendants and ordered a fresh trial of the defendants.
- Lady lambast boyfriend for proposing to her in a market (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 20, 2021A moment supposed to be beautiful turned sour in no time after a young man went on his knees to propose to a lady in a market environment. According ...[Read more]
- Leave That Man Must Do It For Me Mentality In 2020 – Nancy Isime Admonishes LadiesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 20, 2021Media personality Nancy Isime is admonishing ladies to spend on themselves and spoil their selves silly in the year 2020. The TV girl shared that ...[Read more]
- “I Got Paid $10million To Pretend I Had COVID” – South African Rapper AKA RevealsIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 20, 2021South African rapper AKA has openly revealed that he was paid a whooping sum of $10million to pretend he had COVID. The rapper took to the streets of ...[Read more]
- Nigerian married men are the most generous men in the world – Laura Ikeji (Video)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 20, 2021While addressing infidelity in Nigerian marriages, Laura Ikeji has said Nigerian married men are the most generous men in the world. She made ...[Read more]
- Italian Super Cup final: Juventus’ squad to face Napoli confirmedIn SportsJanuary 20, 2021Juventus have released their squad that will tackle Napoli in tonight’s Italian Super Cup final at Stadio Città del Tricolore in Reggio Emilia, ...[Read more]
- Donald Trump Grants Clemency To Rappers Lil Wayne And Kodak BlackIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 20, 2021The White House announced early Wednesday that President Donald Trump has granted a pardon to rapper Lil Wayne and a commutation to rapper Kodak ...[Read more]
- Laycon drops hot freestyle on Jimmy’s Jump Off to address critics (Video)In Celebrity News, LayconJanuary 20, 2021Fast-rising singer and rapper, Laycon has featured on Jimmy’s Jump Off with popular disc jockey, DJ Jimmy Jatt with lyrics addressing critics. Since ...[Read more]
- Trump grants presidential pardon to Lil Wayne, Kodak BlackIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, NewsJanuary 20, 2021Obianuju Catherine Udeh, popularly known as DJ Switch, has called out the Lagos State Government over the order it recently secured from a mobile ...[Read more]
- Alban Bagbin orders all MPs to get tested for Covid-19In Ghana, NewsJanuary 20, 2021The Speaker of Parliament Alban Sumana Bagbin has directed that Members of Parliament undergo compulsory testing for COVID-19 to help reduce the ...[Read more]
- NPP 2024 flagbearer ‘may’ be chosen by consensus – Kyei Mensah Bonsu gives key hintIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 20, 2021Member of Parliament for Suame and the leader of the NPP caucus in Parliament Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu says it’s imperative that the NPP select its ...[Read more]