An eminent gallery founded by a once internationally-renowned art dealer — who was convicted in connection to defrauding Mark Rothko and his estate — is embroiled in a fresh scandal over its leadership, according to a $10 million Manhattan lawsuit.
Former Marlborough Gallery President Max Levai says the family of now-deceased founder Frank Lloyd has “embarked on a scheme to seize control” and destroy his reputation in a “coup” executed at the height of the pandemic, the suit says.
Levai, who’s father is Lloyd’s nephew, began working at the gallery in 2012 and was soon recognized in Forbes’ “30 Under 30” for raising the company’s profile, the filing alleges.
But gallery board members Stanley Bergman and Franz Plutschow, at the behest of the Lloyd family, allegedly fired him in June shortly after his father contracted COVID-19.
They then locked him out of his personal Instagram account, which has 75,000 followers, defamed him to others in the industry and seized his private art collection — all to ensure he can’t compete against them in a new venture, according to the suit.
Bergman and Plutschow, who have worked for the Lloyd family for decades, allegedly falsely told Levai that the Chelsea gallery location would be permanently closed to extract valuable information from him before his ouster, the filling says.
Lloyd’s adult children own 80% of the gallery while Levai’s father owns 20%.
Bergman dismissed Levai’s claims, saying, “The whole complaint is without foundation.” Plutschow couldn’t immediately be reached.
Lloyd stepped away from the business after the Rothko scandal resulted in an 11-year-long civil battle that destroyed the gallery’s reputation, the suit charges.
After Rothko committed suicide, his heirs sued Lloyd in 1971 for engaging in fraud by undervaluing his work during his life then, after his death, selling the works at steep prices for which they received hefty commissions.
Lloyd was also convicted of tampering with evidence in connection to the civil case.
At the height of Lloyd’s business, he had galleries in London, New York, Rome and Zurich representing some of the most famous modern artists — including Rothko, a famed abstract expressionist, and Jackson Pollock. Now there are just two locations, one in Chelsea and a second in London.
Levai is suing for $10.85 million in damages in addition to attorneys’ fees and other costs. He is also seeking the return of his personal property, control over his Instagram account and an injunction barring the defendants from continuing to defame him.
New York Post
- 2-Years After D’Banj And Wife Son Drowned Inside A Swimming Pool; Recent Photos Of The Coupe Pop UpIn Celebrity NewsNovember 27, 2020D’banj and his beautiful wife, Lineo Didi, have been through very hard times in the past. He is one of the greatest musicians Nigeria has ever had. ...[Read more]
- “Always Do You” – Singer, Mayorkun recounts how he went from being a Banker to becoming a Superstar (Video)In Celebrity NewsNovember 27, 2020Popular Nigerian singer, Adewale Mayowa Emmanuel, better known as Mayorkun has shared his grass to grace story as he recounts how he ditched a ...[Read more]
- Biography, Career, Family, Awards And Net Worth Of Nuella NjubigboIn BiographyNovember 27, 2020Nuella Njubigbo is a popular Nollywood actress, scriptwriter, model and a television personality.Nuella Njubigbo was born on 18th March 1984 in ...[Read more]
- NYC SantaCon is canceled due to COVID-19 pandemicIn USANovember 27, 2020Ho Ho No! The annual SantaCon pub crawl has been canceled this year in the Big Apple due the COVID-19 pandemic. Organizers announced the news on the ...[Read more]
- Biography, Family, Early Life, Education, Career And Net Worth Of Ime Bishop UmohIn BiographyNovember 27, 2020Ime Bishop Umoh popularly known as Okon Lagos is a Nigerian based actor and comedian,He was born on the 15th of July, 1981.He is an Ibibio, and is ...[Read more]
- “Are you mad? I’m not scared of you, ingrate” – Kiddwaya and his alleged cousin blast each otherIn BBNaijaNovember 27, 2020Big Brother Naija lockdown housemate, Terseer Waya popularly known as Kiddwaya has been blasted on Twitter by a lady who claims to be his relative. ...[Read more]
- Massive sinkhole swallows vehicle in NYCIn USANovember 27, 2020An unoccupied orange SUV was found swallowed by a sinkhole in Queens early Thursday morning. The vehicle, a Toyota RAV4, was discovered nose-down in ...[Read more]
- Woman dead, driver critical after smashing into Buffalo monumentIn USANovember 27, 2020A speeding minivan that crashed in downtown Buffalo killed a woman and left the driver in critical condition on Thanksgiving Day, authorities said. ...[Read more]
- Tonto Dikeh’s Ex Set To Marry Daughter Of Kogi West SenatorIn Celebrity NewsNovember 27, 2020Politics, marriage and relationships are among one of the few things that cannot be predicted. Nigerian would be witnessing the biggest marriage as ...[Read more]
- Tonto Dikeh’s Ex Set To Marry Daughter Of Kogi West SenatorIn Celebrity NewsNovember 27, 2020Politics, marriage and relationships are among one of the few things that cannot be predicted. – Advertisement – It is, therefore, no ...[Read more]