On the surface, this doesn’t figure to be a “Game of the Week’’ as much as it should be termed “Game of the Weak,’’ based on the 2019 standings with the Bengals coming off a 2-14 season and the Chargers 5-11.
This game’s draw, however, is all about the starting quarterback for the Bengals — No. 1-overall draft pick Joe Burrow, who’ll start his first game as a pro after a dynamic college career at LSU.
As with every quarterback who’s picked No. 1 overall, we all wonder if Burrow is the NFL’s next great quarterback.
In May, Burrow had a valuable conversation with former Colts and Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, also a No. 1-overall pick who went to a losing franchise. Manning, an immediate starter in Indianapolis as a rookie, survived early bumps and became one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time and a certain Hall of Fame entrant when he’s eligible.
“I felt like we were in very similar situations coming in, and he felt the same,” Burrow told reporters in July. “He just gave me a lot of different advice when it came to marketing, how to handle the huddle, how to handle coaches, how assertive to be in your first year and how you build upon that.”
If Burrow is able to succeed as an immediate starter while overcoming the devastating curveballs the COVID-19 pandemic has thrown everyone, it will go down as one of the most remarkable sports stories of 2020.
Surviving and succeeding as a rookie starting quarterback in the NFL is highly difficult to begin with. Doing it with an offseason reduced to Zoom meetings instead of hands-on coaching, along with a truncated training camp and not a single preseason game to at least get a feel for the speed of the pro game?
That’s as high a degree of difficulty as you’ll find in sports, let alone football.
So here goes Burrow, who was named the Bengals’ starter by head coach Zac Taylor on Aug. 30 after the rookie took every training-camp rep, playing his first game Sunday, against the Chargers in Cincinnati.
Listening to his coaches and teammates, it sounds like Burrow is up for the challenge, not intimidated, but confident.
“For a kid that hasn’t played NFL football, he has a great feel for the game,’’ offensive coordinator Brian Callahan told ESPN.com.
“He has high expectations for himself,” Taylor told reporters. “It’s not this false confidence that he walks around with. We see the work.’’
Burrow’s teammates have noticed.
“How he approaches the huddle, how he comes into the huddle, he doesn’t come in like a rookie, he comes in almost like a vet, like he’s been there before,’’ Bengals receiver Auden Tate said, according to ESPN.
“We have a very complex offense, a lot of plays, and Joe is picking it up like it’s nothing,” veteran receiver A.J. Green told ESPN.
On the other side of the ball, the Chargers, too, will be breaking in a new quarterback, but not a rookie.
After 14 years with Philip Rivers behind center, the Chargers enter a new chapter.
Rivers is now in Indianapolis, and his successor — for the moment — is 31-year-old journeyman Tyrod Taylor, formerly of the Ravens, Bills and Browns. Taylor hasn’t started an NFL game since Week 3 of the 2018 season.
Behind Taylor is Justin Herbert, the No. 6-overall pick this spring. The Chargers have been positive about Herbert’s development in training camp, but their plan has always been to give him time to develop while Taylor starts initially — the opposite direction the Bengals are taking.
New York Post
- All the hoodlums who are taking advantage of this season, shall not go unpunished-Bishop Oyedepo warns hoodlumsOctober 26, 2020The General Overseer of Winners Chapel International, David Oyedepo, has declared that the hoodlums who took advantage of the ENDSARS impasse to loot ...[Read more]
- See Davido’s reaction to the To Newly Discovered Camera At Lekki Toll GateOctober 26, 2020Davido, the fiance of Chioma Avril Rowlan, has disclosed how surprised and shocked he feels about the Lekki Toll Gate discovery. Amid an inspection ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Laycon to feature Neo in his new musical videoOctober 26, 2020BBNaija star Laycon has tightened the bond between him and Neo as he featured him in his upcoming music video. Laycon In a picture circulating on ...[Read more]
- This few weeks have been though on me, Laycon appreciates fans for their supportOctober 26, 2020Big Brother Naija winner, Laycon has appreciated his fans for showing him love and support over the past few weeks. He said also that the week was ...[Read more]
- David Oyedepo Says Hoodlums Destroying Properties Will Not Go UnpunishedOctober 26, 2020Directing Bishop of the Living Faith Church, David Oyedepo has said hoodlums plundering, decimating and consuming properties in Nigeria will not go ...[Read more]
- DJ Switch is fraud, Needs to be tried and prosecuted, Nigerian journalist insistsOctober 26, 2020DJ Switch’s heroism after she transmitted the infamous Lekki toll gate shooting incident via her Instagram Live, has been claimed by state officials ...[Read more]
- This country suppose have YouTube Channel, BBNaija Kim Opera describes the ongoing issues in Nigeria as unfortunateOctober 26, 2020BBNaija star Kim Opera has said she can’t believe all that is happening in the country right now. She said all that is going on fits to be properly ...[Read more]
- Senator Ben Ayade Orders Security Agencies To Look Through Houses And Recover Looted PropertiesOctober 26, 2020Cross River State governor, Senator Ben Ayade has requested security organizations in the state to look through houses to recover plundered things ...[Read more]
- Video of Nigerians in Scotland calling President Buhari a bad boy surfaces online, Watch video hereOctober 25, 2020Nigerians who are outside the country is not giving up at all as they keep on protesting until the government will listen to them and reach out to ...[Read more]
- Femi Kuti encourages BBNaija for her act of kindness towards the needyOctober 25, 2020The wife of popular Nigerian musician Femi Kuti has out of her heart showered Big Brother Nigeria star, Erica, with divine blessings for her act of ...[Read more]