Thomas Tuchel has been sacked by Paris Saint-Germain and is set to be replaced by Mauricio Pochettino.
The former Borussia Dortmund boss, 47, who joined the club at the beginning of the 2018-19 season, won six trophies with Les Parisiens, including back-to-back Ligue 1 titles, Coupe de France and Coupe de la Ligue in 2022.
But Wednesday night’s 4-0 win over Strasbourg was the end of the road for Tuchel despite PSG being third in the French league, just one point off top spot.
Before the game, Tuchel had given an interview in his homeland in which he was quoted as saying he had, at times, felt more like “a sports politician or sports minister than a coach” during his tenure.
After the win over Strasbourg, he attempted to clarify those comments to Canal+, saying: “I didn’t say it’s more about politics than sport, nor that I lost the fun of training. This is not true… It is possible they translated incorrectly.
“Watch the video interview. I just said that PSG are unique and that it’s a big challenge for me. It’s always been like that. I like this challenge and nothing has changed.”
Asked for a second time about the remark, he added: “I gave a video interview to a journalist who told me to do a story about German coaches.
“It is not an interview for him. It is not allowed. I was making a joke in German. The translation is not correct. We cannot translate word for word.
“It was a joke while we were talking and it is not allowed.”
Former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is being lined up to take over from Tuchel with an announcement expected to be made soon.
- PSG confirm sacking of Thomas Tuchel with ex-Tottenham bossÂ Mauricio Pochettino expected to be announced as new coach
- Frank Lampard ‘to be sacked by Chelsea today with ex-PSG boss Thomas Tuchel to replace him’
- What Mauricio Pochettino said after winning first trophy at PSG
- Former Tottenham coach, Mauricio Pochettino rejects new job offer
- Juventus in talks with former Tottenham manager, Mauricio Pochettino
- Thomas Tuchel sacked as PSG manager
- New Paris Saint-Germain coach, Mauricio Pochettino tests positive for Covid-19
- Mauricio Pochettino in shocking move to Barcelona
- Mauricio Pochettino To Take Over A Barcelona Manager
- Pochettino issues strong warning to PSG players as he replaces Tuchel