Three Nigerian men have been declared the first people in Irish history to be charged over alleged romance scam, The Irish Sun reports.
The men, Rasak Sanni Sadu, Omawale Olamide Owalabi and Samson Ajayi, all originally from Nigeria and aged between 29 and 32, were arrested by the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau in Dublin, Navan and Drogheda, as part of Operation Engulf.
They were quizzed before being brought to Dublin District Court on Saturday morning , September 19, and charged with a series of suspected fraud offences.
The alleged offences are believed to have been committed between October 2019 and April of this year.
Sadu has been charged with the theft of €35,000 and two counts of money laundering.
One of the money laundering charges relates to the alleged conversion of stolen property into a €25,000 Rolex watch.
The other two defendants have each been charged with three counts of money laundering. The trio, who had lived in ireland for many years, were remanded in custody to appear in court at a later date.
The major investigation which also involves the Garda National Cyber Crime Bureau, was launched after a complaint was made to cops by a Dublin woman.
The woman alleges she spent cash on an investment project in the Middle East that never existed after receiving correspondence on the dating site Plenty of Fish in 2019 from a man claiming to be a US oil rig worker.
Rasak Sanni Sadu
Omawale Olamide Owalabi
- (no title) Post 270721In Nigeria NewsDecember 1, 2020The Senate on Tuesday confirmed the appointment of Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, as Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission for the second ...[Read more]
- New Jersey businessmen charged with allegedly scamming USPS out of $6MIn USADecember 1, 2020A pair of New Jersey businessmen are facing prison time for allegedly ripping off the United States Postal Service to the tune of $6 million by ...[Read more]
- President Muhammadu Buhari makes New appointment, See whoIn Nigeria NewsDecember 1, 2020President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Imaan Sulaiman-Ibrahim as the new Director-General of the National Agency for the ...[Read more]
- Use mercenaries to fight Boko Haram, Gov Ishaku backs Zulum request to President BuhariIn Boko HaramDecember 1, 2020Taraba State Governor, Darius Ishaku, has declared support for Governor Babagana Zulum’s request for President Muhammadu Buhari to engage mercenaries ...[Read more]
- Fallen firefighter’s family battles for recognition 77 years laterIn USADecember 1, 2020The family of a New York City fire captain who died 77 years ago after battling a massive Queens blaze is demanding the FDNY add his name to a ...[Read more]
- “HIV Is No Longer A Death Sentence” – LGBTQ Activist, Bisi Alimi Declares As He Marks 16yrs Of Living With The VirusIn Celebrity NewsDecember 1, 2020Popular Nigerian gay rights activist, Bisi Alimi, has taken to social media to open up on how he has been living with HIV for a period of 16 years ...[Read more]
- LGA worker gets 6 months in jail for airport bathroom ‘peep show’In USADecember 1, 2020A LaGuardia Airport worker is headed to jail for secretly recording women in one of the airport’s bathrooms — later telling cops he “was trying to ...[Read more]
- Crashed dump truck sends asphalt flying on Bruckner ExpresswayIn USADecember 1, 2020A dump truck flipped over on the Bruckner Expressway, spilling asphalt onto the highway and blocking traffic. The truck overturned on the westbound ...[Read more]
- Comedienne Taaooma And Her Fiancé, Abula, Serve Couple Goals In New VideoIn Celebrity NewsDecember 1, 2020Popular Instagram comedienne, Apaokagi Adedoyin Maryam, better known as Taaooma and her fiancé, Abula have shown their fans and followers how couple ...[Read more]
- Linda Ikeji Displays The Expensive Interior Of Her 2020 Range Rover Autobiography 3 Months After Her 40th BirthdayIn Celebrity NewsDecember 1, 2020On her birthday, Linda Ikeji announced that she will be surprising herself with a Range Rover Autobiography (The Long Wheel Edition). She celebrated ...[Read more]