The suicide of top Manhattan ER doctor Lorna Breen — who was serving on the front lines of the coronavirus battle — has left friends and colleagues shaken, they said Tuesday.
“She got the virus and came back to work too soon — they said to her she wasn’t well enough to go back to work. It broke her,” one friend told The Post.
Breen’s death came two days after another frontline worker, Bronx EMT John Mondello, also took his own life.
And their deaths could be just the tip of the iceberg for the mental-health fallout among health care workers battling the virus, experts warn.
Here’s what else we learned today:
New York crisis:
- The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds roared over the NY Metro area in a tribute to frontline workers — and many residents blew off social distancing to catch a glimpse of the flyover.
- In Albany, Gov. Andrew Cuomo played the blame game for the virus’ invasion of American soil — as another 335 New Yorkers died from the disease.
- President Trump urged the country’s governors to “seriously consider” reopening schools to boost the economy.
- He was also expected to order meat processing plants to remain open to avoid food shortages amid the pandemic.
- Members of the House — who had been scheduled to return to Washington on May 4 — were told to stay home.
Some good news:
- Signs of life blossomed around the globe as some areas loosened restrictions — allowing for Sydney’s Bondi Beach and the Berlin Zoo to reopen.
- US stocks jumped again as Wall Street weighed how the global economy will look once it emerges from its coronavirus-induced coma.
- And a 101-year-old New York woman with “superhuman DNA” not only beat the virus, but knocked out cancer and lived through the 1918 Spanish flu.
- Today’s coronavirus update: ER doc’s suicide fallout, Cuomo’s blame game
- Black Stars XI for todays AFCON Qualifier against South Africa
- Party boat owner says woman’s weight, height to blame for injuries on ship, court docs say
- Family of fatal LI limo crash victims blame local pol for ‘coverup’: court docs
- Pantami Gives Update on Recent USSD Fallout between MTN and Banks
- Don’t Blame Akufo-Addo Of Failed Corruption Fight; Blame Institutions – NPP Communication Director
- We do not have to blame God for our situation in Nigeria. We have to blame ourselves – Obasanjo
- Cuomo plays blame game for coronavirus’ American invasion