The Federal government of Nigeria has asked all law enforcement officials in the states to allow the movement trucks lifting essential goods, especially foods without any form of delay.
This is in line with President Muhammadu Buhari’s directive that essential commodities such as food can be transported despite the movement ban.
Trucks transporting foods must not be delayed – FG to security officials
In a statement on Tuesday by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu said a large number of trucks were being delayed at various checkpoints across the country.
“It is essential that attention is drawn to the reported large number of food trucks that are being delayed at various checkpoints around the country or prevented from crossing state borders, as a result of the various curfews and lockdowns in different states.
“The restrictions of movement as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic do not apply to vehicles transporting essential commodities, such as food.
“The country cannot afford a situation where agricultural products are being left to rot in trucks held at various checkpoints when millions of Nigerians across the country need food. COVID-19 or no COVID-19, Nigerians need to eat”, Shehu said.
He stated that other essential items such as pharmaceutical and sanitary supplies, personal care items, agrochemicals, and agricultural machinery amongst others can be transported regardless of the movement restriction, which was prescribed by the Presidential Task Force.
- Trucks transporting foods must not be delayed – FG to security officials
- CBD Security Operatives Apprehend Miscreants Hidden in a Truck Transporting Goods to Lagos
- Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs
- COVID 19: Abia govt warns against transporting dead bodies
- Bus driver with 3,000 cartridges, woman transporting marijuana arrested in Delta state
- FG signs MoU to curb risks in transporting agricultural produce
- Nassau County correction officer slashed by gang member he was transporting to cell
- Man arrested for allegedly transporting cartons of Indian Hemp into Kano (photo)
- Ambulance transporting pregnant woman in labour attacked, driver shot in the head