US President Donald Trump has responded to the new attempt by Democrats to have him impeached from office before defending his speech which urged his supporters to march to the Capitol.
Democrats are attempting to impeach Donald Trump in view of the violence which rocked the US Capitol last week, leaving five people, including a police officer dead.
The House of Representatives is expected to vote on an article of impeachment on Wednesday against Mr Trump for “incitement of insurrection”.
Speaking as he left the White House for a visit to Texas to inspect a section of the border wall with Mexico on Tuesday, the president said that the attempt by Democrats to impeach him is causing “tremendous anger”.
“I think it’s causing tremendous anger”, he said.
Referring to impeachment efforts, he called it a “witch hunt”. “[Impeachment] is a continuation of the greatest witch hunt in the history of politics”, he said.
During his speech at the rally in Washington on 6 January, Mr. Trump repeated his unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud during the November 3rd presidential election and urged his supporters to march on Congress.
“We’re going to walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them, because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength, and you have to be strong,” he told the crowd of several thousand supporters.
Soon after the speech, rioters stormed the Capitol building in support of Trump’s false claims that the US election was stolen from him. Five people were killed in the deadly riots including a police officer.
Addressing his speech today, he said it was “totally appropriate”.
In December 2019, house Democrats impeached Trump on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress, but the Republican-controlled Senate voted not to convict him.
- Biden comments on letter Trump left himIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021China, on Wednesday, imposed sanctions against former US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo and 27 other officials of the Trump administration. The ...[Read more]
- N-Power: Buhari govt announces new plan for beneficiariesIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021China, on Wednesday, imposed sanctions against former US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo and 27 other officials of the Trump administration. The ...[Read more]
- China sanctions Mike Pompeo, 27 other Trump officialsIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021The primary school teachers demoted in 2016 by the Cross River State Universal Basic Education Board (CR-SU EB) have protested non-payment of their ...[Read more]
- AOC joins Teamsters picket line in the BronxIn USAJanuary 21, 2021New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez joined a picket line in the Bronx on Wednesday to support food and manufacturing workers. The congresswoman ...[Read more]
- Judge orders NY county to review ballots in US’ last undecided congressional raceIn USAJanuary 21, 2021A New York Supreme Court judge on Wednesday ordered a review of more than 1,000 affidavit ballots in an upstate county with the nation’s last ...[Read more]
- NYPD rescues dog from freezing Jamaica Bay waterIn USAJanuary 21, 2021It was ruff day for this pup. The NYPD Harbor Unit rescued a dog struggling to stay above water in Jamaica Bay Wednesday morning. Officers were ...[Read more]
- UK Records 1820 COVID-19 Death – The Highest In A Single DayIn WorldJanuary 21, 2021Britain’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Chris Whitty, Chief Medical Officer for England and Chief Scientific Adviser to the Government, Sir Patrick ...[Read more]
- This Is Why Michelle Obama And Joe Biden’s Grandchildren Are Melting Everyone’s Heart On Social MediaIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021Former first lady Michelle Obama has warmly greeted members of Joe Biden’s family – hugging his grandchildren as she stepped onto the inaugural ...[Read more]
- “Many Of Your Friends Are Miserable Today Because They Married Quick” – Reno Omokri Warn SinglesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021
- Sanitizer in chief: Twitter loves the inauguration’s mystery podium cleanerIn LifestyleJanuary 21, 2021Forget Joe Biden, Kamala Harris and, heck, even Lady Gaga — the true star of the inauguration was the bespectacled man of mystery who wiped down the ...[Read more]