President Donald Trump on Wednesday mocked Michigan Rep. Justin Amash’s Libertarian campaign for president, calling him a “wonderful candidate.”
Amash left the Republican Party last year and said Tuesday he would seek the third-party nomination to challenge Trump.
“No, I think Amash would make a wonderful candidate, especially since he is way behind in his district and has no chance of maintaining his Congressional seat,” Trump wrote on Twitter.
“He almost always votes for the Do Nothing Dems anyway. I like him even more than Jill Stein!” Trump wrote, referring to the 2012 and 2016 Green Party presidential candidate.
Amash told few about his intentions before tweeting that he was forming an exploratory committee and that “I’m excited and honored to be taking these first steps toward serving Americans of every background as president.”
Many Democrats fear that Amash will help Trump win reelection by giving voters an alternative to presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden. Trump added his commentary while circulating a Washington Post op-ed from anti-Trump former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) titled “Justin Amash’s campaign will help Trump win.”
Amash, currently a political independent, broke with the GOP after saying that special counsel Robert Mueller’s report described impeachable conduct by Trump in allegedly obstructing justice in the probe of Russia’s role in the 2016 election.
Trump retaliated by calling Amash a “loser” and saying, “He probably wants to run for some other office. I don’t think he’ll do very well. He’s been a loser for some time.”
In December, Amash was the only non-Democrat who voted to impeach Trump for pressuring Ukraine to investigate Biden and his son Hunter, who scored a cushy job on the board of a Ukrainian energy firm.
Amash, 40, was first elected to Congress in 2010 as part of the Tea Party wave of fiscal conservatives. He’s the son of Palestinian and Syrian immigrants.
In 2013, Amash became well-known for sponsoring a narrowly defeated House amendment to end the National Security Agency’s dragnet collection of domestic call records.
- Justin Amash ends his Libertarian presidential campaign
- Rep. Justin Amash exploring 2023 run for president as a Libertarian
- Kanye West will not appear on the 2023 presidential ballot in South Carolina despite holding his first presidential campaign there
- #Celebrating America: Watch Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake, John Legend, Demi Lovato and others perform at Biden’s presidential inauguration special (Videos)
- Trump engages Africans in diaspora for US presidential campaign
- Trump campaign wants Biden’s ears inspected for devices at presidential debate
- Trump campaign requests presidential debates be moved to early September
- His song is not for a campaign of hate – Tom Petty’s family says as it issues cease and desist order to Trump campaign
- Joe Biden’s campaign raised $10M more than Trump’s campaign in the month of June; See figures
- Davido mocks Trump as Biden leads Trump in Poll results