Uganda’s communications regulator has reportedly ordered internet service providers to immediately shut down social media and messaging services ahead of the country’s presidential election.
The move comes two days before the country’s presidential election which will see one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders, Yoweri Museveni, against opposition frontrunner and popular singer Bobi Wine.
In a letter seen by news agencies on Tuesday, January 12, Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) Executive Director Irene Sewankambo ordered telecommunications companies to “immediately suspend any access and use” of social media and online messaging platforms.
An industry insider who spoke to AFP news agency on condition of anonymity said the order was first communicated in “nasty and aggressive” phone calls to the telecommunications companies on Tuesday morning.
The order was retaliation for Facebook deleting pro-government accounts for seeking to manipulate public debate before Thursday’s key polls, the insider said
The list of banned social media sites includes Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Signal, and Viber. Some of these were already offline on Tuesday, the source added.
On Monday, a list of over 100 virtual private networks was distributed to internet service providers by the UCC with orders to block them, according to the insider.
UCC spokesman Ibrahim Bbosa told AFP: “I am not aware of a directive to switch off internet or social media platforms.”
“There has been slow connectivity on the platforms which can be partly due to heavy traffic as a result of the forthcoming elections” he said.
This comes a day after a number of Ugandan government officials and ruling party members had their Facebook accounts shut down over accusations they are seeking to manipulate public debate ahead of elections
- Erica Nlewedim bags endorsement deal with mobile phone companyIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021The disqualified housemate of the 2020 BBnaija reality show, Erica Nlewedim has bagged an endorsement with a mobile phone brand, Partner Mobile ...[Read more]
- Ned Nwoko replies lady who asked him to stop going after young girls and marry herIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021Nigerian billionaire, Ned Nwoko has replied a lady who asked him to stop going after young girls and marry her. Ned Nwoko recently celebrated one of ...[Read more]
- “This is so cute” – Laycon reacts to a roadside painting of him and Nengi (Video)In Celebrity News, LayconJanuary 27, 2021BBNaija reality TV show winner, Olamilekan Moshood Agbeleshe alias Laycon, has reacted to a beautiful painting of him and Nengi which was spotted by ...[Read more]
- Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom Tests Positive For COVID-19In Celebrity News, COVID-19, Nigeria NewsJanuary 27, 2021The Benue state governor Samuel Ortom has tested positive to the novel coronavirus. The governor made the announcement on Wednesday by his Chief ...[Read more]
- Tinubu Gave Me N2m To Buy Fuel For My Car In 2009 – Sunday IgbohoIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsJanuary 27, 2021Popular Yoruba Activist and Freedom fighter, Sunday Adeyemo “Sunday Igboho” has revealed during a recent interview that he had never at any point ...[Read more]
- Princess Odume Is Innocent, She Didn’t Set To Kill Mr Japheth – Women’s Rights Lawyer, Barr. Nnenna Nwafor-OrizuIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsJanuary 27, 2021In light of getting a good understanding of the recent rape and manslaughter case of the Akwa Ibom State Corper Chidinma Princess Odume who allegedly ...[Read more]
- Practice Your Love Language On Yourself! – Timi DakoloIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Singer Timi Dakolo has taken to the streets of Twitter to advice Nigerians to practice their love language on themselves. Maybe this will help them ...[Read more]
- Richest Ashewo In Nigeria, Put Some Respect On My Name – Bobrisky BragsIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Crossdresser Bobrisky has declared himself the richest ashewo in Nigeria while showing off his extravagant dressing. The Instagram celebrity shared a ...[Read more]
- Stop Scamming People In The Name Of Jesus – Woli Arole Slams ScammersIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Popular Comedian Woli Arole has warned scammers against using the name of Jesus to obtain money from people. He shared that these scammers hide under ...[Read more]
- Ned Nwoko Takes Wife, Laila on Romantic Dinner (Video)In EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Ned Nwoko Takes Wife, Laila on Romantic Dinner. The businessman and Billionaire, Ned Nwoko has splashed thousands of naira on a dinner with his ...[Read more]