The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, University of Calabar, UNICAL, branch, has accused the federal government of abysmal failure in ensuring a conducive environment for those in the academic sector.
Dr Edor J. Edor, the ASUU Chairman of UniCal said the statement of the Nigerian government regarding schools resuming on January 18, 2021, was an indication of government’s failure.
Recall that the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu had said government was reviewing the January 18 resumption date.
Adamu had said the resumption date was under review due to the spike in the figures of COVID-19 cases across the country.
However, Edor in a chat with DAILY POST said: “Having regards to the absymal and shameful failure of the federal government to put in place infrastructure of public universities in other to make them conducive for learning and teaching, the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19 on Monday said resumption is under review.
“This is a clear admission of federal government’s failure to do the needful in public universities.
“If we have condusive lecture theatres, conducive hostels, conducive offices and infrastructure, if they have possible water, have ordinary taps as one of the COVID-19 protocols is saying that wash your hand frequently with soap under running water before sanitising then why will the federal government be shifting resumption of schools.
“They know that those things are not in place, so it will be unsafe for students, academic and non academic staff to return back to school in the face of the spike of the new and resilient variance of the COVID-29 virus.
“This should send a signal to members of the forth estate of the realm, to parents, to Nigerians that what ASUU has been drumming by asking federal government to inject finances into the revitalization of universities, COVID-19 has come to lay it bear.
“We are now confronted face-to-face with the fact of the depth of poverty and pluacity of infrastructure in public universities.
“Of course, ASUU has suspended strike so right now we have picked up our tool which we downed on March 23, 2020 and we are ready to work but federal government is saying we should hold on, we can’t go back to work because it’s risky.”
- Watch moment Joe Biden called a Nigerian family to invite them to the White House (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 21, 2021A US-based Nigerian family known as the Oke’s from Ibadan, Oyo state were recently greeted by US President Joe Biden, who called them over phone for ...[Read more]
- “Why strangers support your business more than people you know” – Actress, Didi Ekanem (Video)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 21, 2021Nigerian actress, Didi Ekanem has taken to social media to give detailed reasons why strangers support your business more than people you know. ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky reacts to reports of crashed relationship with Tonto DikehIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 21, 2021Nigerian crossdresser, Idris Okuneye a.k.a Bobrisky has finally addressed those waiting for him to fight on social media with Tonto Dikeh. Bobrisky ...[Read more]
- Man and his friends mercilessly flog his girlfriend for allegedly cheating on him (Video)In Gossip, Viral NewsJanuary 21, 2021A disturbing video is circulating on social media showing the moment some young men were flogging a lady over alleged unfaithfulness. A man said to ...[Read more]
- Long Island police lieutenant dead at 60 from COVID-19In USAJanuary 21, 2021A Suffolk County police lieutenant died of coronavirus on Wednesday — the department’s first active member to succumb to the illness, officials said. ...[Read more]
- “It is true, beautiful ladies are always single” – Reality star, DorathyIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 21, 2021Former Big Brother Naija housemate, Dorathy Bachor has affirmed on social media that it is true beautiful ladies are always single. The beautifully ...[Read more]
- Vice Principal arrested for impregnating 12-year-old student in KatsinaIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021A vice principal identified as Ibrahim Tukur has been arrested for raping his 12-year-old student of a community school in Katsina ...[Read more]
- Kwara police arrests organizers of a nude party in Ilorin (photo)In NewsJanuary 21, 2021The Kwara State Police Command has arrested one Akinsola Babatunde aka Mr. White for planning, with a group of other persons currently at large, ...[Read more]
- ”We look forward to working together to tackle global terrorism” – Buhari congratulates Joe BidenIn Viral NewsJanuary 21, 2021Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated Joe Biden on his inauguration as the 46th President of the United States, saying his ...[Read more]
- “We love you so much” Kamala Harris’ husband, Douglas Emhoff expresses pride in herIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021US Second Gentleman, Douglas Emhoff took to Twitter to express pride in his wife and his love for her hours after the US inauguration. The ...[Read more]