The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has accused Amotekun, the South West regional security outfit, of intimidating other ethnic groups living and doing businesses in the region.
According to the Islamic organization, members of Amotekun are profiling and intimidating Northerners traveling down south.
MURIC further accused the security outfit of engaging in extra-judicial killings of Yoruba people.
The group’s claim was contained in a statement signed and issued to DAILY POST on Thursday by its director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola.
“Reports reaching us indicate that the South West regional security outfit, Amotekun, has been engaging in extra-judicial killings,” MURIC said.
“Among those killed without proper recourse to law were Akolade Gbadebo, a 400 level student of the University of Ibadan, who was killed on 26th December, 2020. Seven Fulanis were also reported killed at Ayete in Ibarapa North Local Government area of Oyo State on Monday, 11th January, 2021.
“We also have reports that vehicles coming from or going to the North are being stopped by members of the Amotekun corps. They order Hausa-Fulanis to disembark, search them and almost strip them naked.
“MURIC strongly condemns this act of stereotyping of a particular ethnic group.
“The intimidation of Northern travelers violates the spirit and letter of Section 41 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
“We believe that Amotekun can be useful in stemming the tide of insecurity in the South West without targeting any particular ethnic group,” MURIC alleged.
Recall that Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC) had recently warned the Fulani apex socio-cultural organisation, Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) against an alleged “plot” to infiltrate Amotekun.
OPC gave the warning while reacting to MACBAN’s call for inclusion of its members and other ethnic bodies in the outfit.
In a similar development, a South West group, the Yoruba One Voice (YOV), had called on the Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu to, without further delay inaugurate the Amotekun in the state.
The group made the call while expressing concern about the spate of insecurity, wondering why it took the Governor “almost a year to inaugurate the outfit”.
Amotekun, with the motto ‘zero tolerance to crime’, was founded on January 9, 2020 by the six governors of the South West Nigeria for the purpose of curbing insecurity in the region.
- Nigeria’s Border Closure Is Good For Security – NIS Boss BabandedeIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021Mohammed Babandede the Comptroller General Of the Nigerian Immigration Service has revealed that the closure of the Nigerian borders was a great ...[Read more]
- Woman narrates how she was lured into marriage with voodooIn Local NewsJanuary 19, 2021A herb dealer, Rofiat Biliameen, has petitioned a Mapo Customary Court in Ibadan to dissolve her two and a half-year-old marriage to estranged ...[Read more]
- Court dismisses NJC’s objection on Justice Ofili-Ajumogobia’s sackIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021A Federal High Court, Abuja on Tuesday dismissed the objection raised by the National Judicial Council (NJC) against the hearing of a suit instituted ...[Read more]
- Governor Buni speaks on consolidating success in education Yobe StateIn Education, NewsJanuary 19, 2021
- I’m A Good Actress- Vee RevealsIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021Big brother naija ex housemate, Vee has come out to declare her she is a good actress and she wants everyone to know about it.The reality TV star ...[Read more]
- Lionel Messi given two-match ban for red cardIn SportsJanuary 19, 2021Chelsea manager, Frank Lampard, has named the Blues’ squad to face Leicester City in today’s Premier League fixture. According to Football London, ...[Read more]
- Bayelsa Assembly deny impeachment plot against Diri over 38 billion FG refundIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021
- COVID-19: Kano State Orders Civil Servants To Stay At HomeIn Local NewsJanuary 19, 2021The Kano state government has ordered civil servants in the state to stay at home following the increasing number of COVID-19 cases in the state. The ...[Read more]
- Device fresh approach to security, we are under siege – Northern elders to BuhariIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021
- Pfizer responds to Cuomo, says HHS approval needed to sell COVID vaccine to NYIn USAJanuary 19, 2021Pfizer says it would need federal approval to sell its coronavirus vaccine to New York, dashing Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s hopes of buying the shots ...[Read more]