The U.S. House of Representatives approved a resolution on Tuesday that is calling on Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment to the Constitution to remove and replace President Donald Trump after he was accused of inciting a deadly insurrection at the US Capitol last week.
Citing Trump’s role in inciting “a massive violent invasion of the United States Capitol” on Jan. 6, the day the president had summoned his supporters to Washington to protest the certification of the Electoral College vote formalizing President-elect Joe Biden’s victory, the resolution, introduced by Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., passed by a largely party-line vote of 223-205.
The resolution asked Pence “to immediately use his powers under Section 4 of the 25th Amendment to convene and mobilize the principal officers of the executive departments in the Cabinet to declare what is obvious to a horrified Nation: That the President is unable to successfully discharge the duties and powers of his office.”
But in a letter sent to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi by Vice President Mike Pence, as the House was taking procedural votes on a resolution calling on him to execute the president’s removal, he stated that he would not invoke the 25th Amendment to seek to remove Trump from office.
“With just eight days left in the president’s term, you and the Democratic Caucus are demanding that the Cabinet and I invoke the 25th Amendment. I do not believe that such a course of action is in the best interest of our Nation or consistent with the Constitution,” Mr. Pence wrote.
The House Democrats are expected to make another attempt to remove Trump by voting a second time to impeach him today, January 13.
The impeachment vote is set to take place a week after Trump falsely claimed that the election was stolen from him, inciting his supporters to storm the Capitol. Five people were killed including a police officer.
- Bayelsa Assembly deny impeachment plot against Diri over 38 billion FG refundIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021Northern elders have appealed to President Muhamadu Buhari to device a new approach to restore peace in the region considering that the current ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: Kano State Orders Civil Servants To Stay At HomeIn Local NewsJanuary 19, 2021The Kano state government has ordered civil servants in the state to stay at home following the increasing number of COVID-19 cases in the state. The ...[Read more]
- Device fresh approach to security, we are under siege – Northern elders to BuhariIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021Northern elders have appealed to President Muhamadu Buhari to device a new approach to restore peace in the region considering that the current ...[Read more]
- Justice Ita confirms expiration of tenure as Cross River State Acting Chief JudgeIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021
- Kim Kardashian And Kanye West Stop Attending Marriage CounsellingIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021Celebrity couple Kim Kardashian and Kanye West have reportedly stop attending counselling and have proceeded to go on with their divorce settlement. ...[Read more]
- Name the Christians in Boko Haram sect – Omokri tells Gov. ZulumIn Boko Haram, NewsJanuary 19, 2021
- NIN-SIM linkage: FG expresses appreciation, provides updateIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021
- Police to arraign 4 suspects in connection to death at government lodge in YobeIn Local NewsJanuary 19, 2021Niger State Police Command has paraded seven suspects for alleged involvement in conspiracy, kidnap and recovery of the sum of N3.2 million as ...[Read more]
- Abeokuta tanker explosion: Alaba Lawson schools beg parents to calm down [VIDEO]In NewsJanuary 19, 2021Kaduna State Government on Tuesday confirmed that its troops laid ambush and neutralized two bandits in Kagarko Local Government Area of the State. ...[Read more]
- Leicester City vs Chelsea: Lampard’s squad for EPL clash confirmedIn EPL, SportsJanuary 19, 2021Chelsea manager, Frank Lampard, has named the Blues’ squad to face Leicester City in today’s Premier League fixture. According to Football London, ...[Read more]