The President, Vision Africa International and the Co-Chair of the Interfaith Dialogue Forum for Peace (IDFP), Bishop Sunday Ndukwo Onuoha, has cautioned the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government against further borrowing from both international and national financial organisations in order not to mortgage the future of the country’s children.
He advised the government to desist from further borrowing in order not to put the future of Nigerians in danger.
Bishop Onuoha, a Global Peace Award Winner in 2013, while giving his advice observed that one of the old habits that the government should shun this year is continuous borrowings from foreign countries.
He noted that borrowing appears sweet but always hard to pay back.
According to him, “One thing about borrowing, is that while doing it, it appears enjoyable, but where the problem sets in is when you don’t have any hope of paying back or when you haven’t invested wisely with the borrowed money, hence problem may ensue at this point.”
The Methodist Bishop enjoined the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government not to mortgage the future of the younger generation who may be left to service these debts due to its gravity, saying that it would be unfair to punish them by constantly borrowing without investing wisely to their advantage.
He added, “Borrowing may not be a bad idea if you invest and deploy such loans judiciously, but in the Nigerian context, where there is recession, a lot may not be achieved in terms of pay back because those monies go into servicing of old debts without plans to invest.”
Bishop Onuoha advised the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration to invest in the youth who have the potential to unlock grey areas to the benefit of the entire country, pointing out that investing in them would take care of restiveness and all manner of agitations witnessed in the country in recent times.
He also called for massive investment in agriculture, arguing that before the advent of the oil boom, agriculture was the mainstay, sustaining the country and providing jobs for millions of Nigerians.
He called on the Federal Government to invest more in agriculture now that the price of oil is down globally.
- Uganda Court Orders End To Bobi Wine House ArrestIn Celebrity News, Nigeria News, World NewsJanuary 25, 2021Uganda’s High Court on Monday ordered security forces to end their confinement of presidential election runner-up Bobi Wine. The presidential ...[Read more]
- SAD NEWS: Actor Eddie Nartey’s Wife Dies 2 Years After Their MarriageIn EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Actor Eddie Nartey‘s wife, Vida Obenewah Nartey, is dead just two years after their marriage. Teary Eddie Nartey announced the death of his wife in ...[Read more]
- BREAKING: Gunmen shoot soldier dead, cart away rifle in DeltaIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A 48-year-old man, Akeem Bello, on Monday appeared before an Ikorodu Magistrates’ Court for allegedly causing the death of two persons through ...[Read more]
- Recap: Top Events That Took Place During The WekeendIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsJanuary 25, 2021<!– Recap: Top Events That Took Place During The Weekend The past weekend was one full of many activities for the Nigerian community, as ...[Read more]
- Man in court over alleged manslaughter in LagosIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A total of 176 persons have died in various road crashes that occurred across Ogun State between January and December 2020, DAILY POST learnt. The ...[Read more]
- Mzbel’s Beljam Records Introduces Signee Heartman With First Single Titled ‘For You’In Entertainment, MzbelJanuary 25, 2021On Friday, BelJam Records’ CEO Belinda Nana Ekua Amoah (Mzbel) outdoors her new signee Heartman Lali Ezuh (HeartMan) at an unveiling meeting with the ...[Read more]
- Zamfara : 8,000 civil servants petition NLC over pension refundIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021Nigerian Government through the National Information Technology Development Agency, NITDA, has reminded all data controllers and processors in the ...[Read more]
- Simi Explains Why She Named Her Album “Restless II” While On Apple MusicIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 25, 2021First-time mum singer and songwriter Simi was on Apple Music 1 over the weekend with Alexis Nadeska as she discusses her latest album “Restless II”. ...[Read more]
- Mind Your Business – Sonia, Jude Ighalo’s Wife Slams Fan Who Asked About Her MarriageIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Sonia Ighalo wife of football star Jude Ighalo wants everyone to mind their business and stay out of any conversations involving her marriage. The ...[Read more]
- 13 corps members test positive for Coronavirus at Cross River campIn NewsJanuary 25, 202113 Corps members have reportedly tested positive for Coronavirus at Cross River State NYSC orientation camp. The Commissioner for Health in ...[Read more]