Referees manager at the Ghana Football Association, Alex Kotey, believes the introduction of the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) will help bring an end to hooliganism.
Ghana Football, in recent months has seen a rise in cases of hooliganism across the various league competitions.
In an exclusive interview with Citi Sports, Alex Kotey said the introduction of VAR will ensure less errors on the part of referees, which will bring clarity to their decisions on the pitch.
“The introduction of VAR is to correct these errors. We all know that a referee per his position may make an error in his judgement.
“The VAR will correct that error. In the absence of VAR, these errors linger on and affect the game, leading to hooliganism.
“So if the VAR comes in and corrects that error, hooliganism will stop because now there’s proper clarity, he said.
The Ghana Football Association is planning to introduce the technology at the start of the 2023/2024 season, with the piloting set to done during the 2023 Africa Games.
Credit: Ghana Premier League – Citi Sports Online
- 3Sports and GFA collaborate to organize forum on hooliganism in football
- Implementation of VAR in Ghana to help reduce infrastructure deficit – Referees Chief
- EPL: Referees’ body releases statement on VAR decisions during Burnley vs Man Utd
- Premier League referees to make changes to VAR
- Match Review Panel: Three referees and two Assistant referees handed suspension for the rest of the season
- GFA, CAF and FIFA begin two-day VAR Kick-off meeting
- FIFA approves GFA VAR project team
- Retired referee Alex Kotey leads GFA VAR project team
- Statement on violence and hooliganism at Sunyani Coronation Park
- Hooliganism, thuggery, others product of parental negligence – Oyo Deputy Governor’s wife