Verizon has been quietly scrambling to unload HuffPost as it grapples with continued losses at the left-leaning news and culture website, The Post has learned.
The telecom giant — which acquired the site formerly known as the Huffington Post as part of its $4.4 billion purchase of AOL in 2015 — has approached multiple digital-media companies during the past few months in a bid to get the property off its books as losses accelerate due to the coronavirus, according to sources close to the situation.
Verizon has pitched the property to prospective buyers including Thrillist-owner Group Nine Media, Rolling Stone publisher Penske Media Corp., Bustle Digital Media and J2 Global, insiders said. Those media outlets declined to comment.
Vox Media, which owns New York Magazine and operates news and political site Vox as well as tech news sites Recode and The Verge, is among the media outlets to have held talks to acquire HuffPost. Some sources have described those talks as “serious,” but sources close to Vox, while acknowledging they have taken a look, say they are not interested in buying the property.
Even Group Nine — whose CEO is Ben Lerer, the son of Huffington Post co-founder Ken Lerer — took a pass, according to a source close to the situation.
“This thing loses so much money,” a digital media executive with knowledge of the financials said. “It’s such a mess, I wouldn’t touch it with a 10-foot pole. I don’t think there’s any way you can make money.”
People briefed on the talks said Verizon, headed by CEO Hans Vestberg, is hoping to offload HuffPost to a buyer willing to take a knife to the site’s high operating expenses — a potentially daunting process that would require going head-to-head with the site’s union and enacting “massive layoffs,” sources said.
While HuffPost brings in between $45 million to $50 million a year in revenue, its annual expenses are between $60 million and $70 million, two sources said. And with advertising slammed by the pandemic, it will likely bring in $40 million this year, the sources said.
Verizon is looking to maintain a minority stake while the buyer “does the dirty work” of cutting costs and dealing with severance packages, one source explained.
He estimated that roughly one-third to a half of HuffPost’s staff would need to be cut to enable any buyer to “break even” on the deal. According to the company’s masthead, HuffPost has roughly 200 employees. HuffPost’s editorial staff is unionized with the Writer’s Guild of America East.
Other challenges include a “toxic culture” among staffers that’s plagued by “distrust in the organization” and “in-fighting” over how “left” the publication should be, one source said.
“Who wants to buy ads on the thing? Nobody. If Verizon can’t make money on it, who can?,” the source said. “And, you have to fire half the people? There goes the traffic. The brand means nothing anymore and it’s ultra-partisan.”
Founded by Arianna Huffington in 2005, HuffPost began as a counterpart to conservative sites like Drudge Report. In 2016, Lydia Polgreen took the reins as top editor from Huffington, who left to build a wellness and lifestyle company, Thrive Global. In March, Polgreen left to head up content for Spotify’s podcasting company, Gimlet Media. The company has yet to name Polgreen’s replacement.
Verizon didn’t respond to requests for comment on Monday.
New York Post
- NYSC Arrests 43 Hoodlums Over looting at Kubwa Orientation CampOctober 28, 202043 hoodlums have reportedly been arrested with some items recovered by the National Youth Service Corps(NYSC), following their attack in their Abuja ...[Read more]
- Watch how Falz cut his birthday cake yesterdayOctober 28, 2020Nigerian rapper Falz turned 30 years yesterday, October 27, and he celebrated his birthday in grand style. In the video sighted online, the rapper ...[Read more]
- Watch Davido Cruising A 15 Million Naira Can-AM Spyder F3 Trick (+Video)October 28, 2020In an ongoing video, Davido was spotted cruising a 15 Million Naira Can-AM Spyder F3 Trick. It would appear that the Musician is attempting to ...[Read more]
- See The Top 10 World Richest Actors 2020October 28, 2020It’s a well known truth that Hollywood and Bollywood are the top film industry in the world known for delivering the best movies as well as ...[Read more]
- ” Why are you hiding your shoe?” – Netizen asks Ozo After He Shared A PhotographOctober 27, 2020Ex Big Brother Naija housemate, Ozo shared a photograph on his Instagram page which didn’t show his shoes. Shockingly enough, that was what one ...[Read more]
- For The First Time Lagos State Judicial Panel Start Probing ProcessOctober 27, 2020The Nigerian legal board set up to enquire into police brutality for the first time today. The present sitting was pointed toward distinguishing ...[Read more]
- The Alafin of Oyo blames President Buhari over the Lekki toll gate shootingOctober 27, 2020Speaking at stakeholders meeting at the House Of Chiefs, the Alafin of Oyo blamed the events of 20th October on the president. According to him, his ...[Read more]
- FIFA President, Gianni Infantino tests positive for for CoronavirusOctober 27, 2020Unfortunate news coming out of the world of football has confirmed that the president of the world’s governing body for soccer has contracted ...[Read more]
- Pastor Enoch Adeboye Declares 30 days days of fasting and prayer to pray for the nationOctober 27, 2020Senior Pastor of Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCGG), Pastor Enoch Adeboye has declared 30 days of fasting and prayer for its members. Pastor ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Dorathy signs an ambassadorial deal with a herbal cosmetic company vspbotanicsOctober 27, 2020Former Big Brother Naija has signed an ambassadorial deal with a herbal cosmetic company vspbotanics. She informed her followers about the good news ...[Read more]