It’s déjà vu with a twist for Wayne Gallman.
One year ago, an early-season injury to Saquon Barkley opened a door for Gallman, who answered the call at first, but strangely was buried on the bench for the final five games. Now, another injury to Barkley has created another opportunity for Gallman just as he was in danger of again becoming invisible much earlier in this season.
Gallman could make the big leap from unexpected healthy inactive last week against the Bears to starter Sunday against the 49ers, with a final chance to make something promising of his Giants career before entering free agency.
“I’m not making goals,” Gallman told The Post. “I’m going in trusting the line, trusting the offense and trusting what we’ve done in practice. That’s all I can do. If you put in hard work, the results will come.”
Like all football teams, the Giants preach a Next Man Up philosophy. It just doesn’t seem to apply to Gallman.
Gallman totaled 118 yards from scrimmage and two touchdowns in the first game without Barkley last season. Then he suffered a concussion before he could prove his performance repeatable, was replaced as Barkley’s backup by Buck Allen and managed four offensive touches from Oct. 27 onward. He didn’t dwell on the mystery ending in the offseason.
“I just shifted my focus to what’s more important and that’s preparing myself to be ready for anything, whether that’s starting or staying in a backup role,” Gallman said. “There’s really not much I can do except controlling what I can control.”
Before testing Gallman as lead running back this week, the Giants signed former Pro Bowler Devonta Freeman. After only three practices, Freeman is expected to be part of a rotation with Gallman on first downs and Dion Lewis in passing situations.
“Wayne’s got that long speed, get him ranging out and get him really moving,” coach Joe Judge said. “Every player has a role. Anybody coming in doesn’t replace somebody else who’s already here. They just add to our team.”
If Gallman feels cheated, he isn’t letting on.
“I look at it as another opportunity to learn from a vet,” Gallman said. “Devonta has been in this league a long time and I used to watch him all the time in the good old Clemson-Florida State rivalry. We’re all in it as a group.”
The fresh start provided by a first-year coaching staff was supposed to benefit Gallman. But the Giants’ decision to dress only Barkley, Lewis and fullback Eli Penny last week suggested otherwise.
“My drive is to get better each day and be the best Wayne,” Gallman said. “There’s so much to the league that you can only understand so much. Everything will work out the way it should be.”
The likeliest reasons for Gallman’s bit role are his continued struggles with drops as a pass-catcher, his minimal role on special teams and the constant change around him. If new regimes tend to favor their hand-picked players … well … Gallman has had three head coaches, two position coaches and two general managers since he was a fourth-round pick in 2017.
“He’s attacked every single day, especially this camp, and has always stayed ready,” said tight end and close friend Evan Engram. “Wayne is a real laid-back guy. He definitely understands the opportunity that presents itself, but he’s attacking the work the way he always has.”
Gallman tried his hand as a gunner during training camp but didn’t stick. His special teams snaps dropped from 174 as a rookie to 84 to 17 under coordinator Thomas McGaughey last season — and that’s the easiest path to game day for backup running backs.
But maybe he is the starter at long last.
“I feel like I can make an impact with anything given,” Gallman said. “You don’t specifically try to get better in one area. You try to get better in all areas. I’m willing to do whatever I can to contribute to the Giants. With T-Mac, I don’t think you go up to the coach and ask. It’s more what you earn and what’s in the game plan.”
New York Post
- EndSARS: Let’s Continue To Spread Awareness – DJ CuppyOctober 26, 2020DJ Cuppy has taken to online media to encourage Nigerians to proceed with the protest against SARS and police brutality in the nation. As per her, ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Famous Nigerian comedian AY Blasts Those Asking Why No Celebrity Died During ProtestsOctober 26, 2020Famous Nigerian comedian, Ayo Makun better known as AY, has gone hard on individuals inquiring as to why no big name died during #EndSARS fights held ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Man Reveals How An Iron protector Saved His Shop From Being Looted In Imo State (+Photos)October 26, 2020A Nigerian businessman, Chima Smart Nwaneri, has taken to Twitter to uncover how an iron defender kept his shop from being burglarized in Owerri, Imo ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Cross-dresser, Bobrisky Reveals Two Things He Can Never DoOctober 26, 2020Nigerian cross-dresser, Okuneye Idris better realized as Bobrisky has uncovered two things he can never be seen doing. He made this disclosure in ...[Read more]
- Chief of Army Staff Responds To Travel Ban calls By International BodiesOctober 26, 2020Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, has responded to calls by International bodies requiring a movement boycott to be put on some military officials ...[Read more]
- All the hoodlums who are taking advantage of this season, shall not go unpunished-Bishop Oyedepo warns hoodlumsOctober 26, 2020The General Overseer of Winners Chapel International, David Oyedepo, has declared that the hoodlums who took advantage of the ENDSARS impasse to loot ...[Read more]
- See Davido’s reaction to the To Newly Discovered Camera At Lekki Toll GateOctober 26, 2020Davido, the fiance of Chioma Avril Rowlan, has disclosed how surprised and shocked he feels about the Lekki Toll Gate discovery. Amid an inspection ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Laycon to feature Neo in his new musical videoOctober 26, 2020BBNaija star Laycon has tightened the bond between him and Neo as he featured him in his upcoming music video. Laycon In a picture circulating on ...[Read more]
- This few weeks have been though on me, Laycon appreciates fans for their supportOctober 26, 2020Big Brother Naija winner, Laycon has appreciated his fans for showing him love and support over the past few weeks. He said also that the week was ...[Read more]
- David Oyedepo Says Hoodlums Destroying Properties Will Not Go UnpunishedOctober 26, 2020Directing Bishop of the Living Faith Church, David Oyedepo has said hoodlums plundering, decimating and consuming properties in Nigeria will not go ...[Read more]