The Nigerian government has admitted its mistake on not obtaining a land title certificate or a building permit for its new structure at the Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana which was recently demolished.
Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama who disclosed this however added that the mistake was not enough reason for the demolition of the building by a Ghanaian businessman last weekend.
He noted that the Ghanaian government has assumed responsibility for the demolition and promised to rebuild the structure to its original level.
“It was clearly a mistake on our side. What the Ghanaians said is that owing to the fact that our High Commission did not obtain a lease, following the allocation letter they got after paying for the plot of land, nor did we proceed to obtain a land title certificate and we didn’t even get a building permit for the new property.
“When other people came claiming ownership of the land, the commission did not see anything in the register because the lease title had not been obtained. It is clearly an error on the side of our High Commission.
“We would learn from that. But clearly, our documenting and record-keeping and processes would need to be sharpened. In terms of how we deal with our officers, this is something that happened in 2000. That was 20 years ago.
“The officials are no longer in service. We rather just learn from our mistake and ensure we have more rigour whenever we are engaging in legal issues in all our missions.
“The Ghanaian government has directed the necessary administrative procedures that were not followed should be done now, meaning that title deeds be formerly given to the High Commission of Nigeria since the documentary proof acknowledged by the Ghanaian land registry of receipt of payment on the property has been done many years ago.”
Newzandar News Linda Ikeji’s Blog
- We did not obtain a land title certificate or a building permit for the new property – Nigeria admits mistake on demolition of Nigerian high Commission in Ghana
- Persons involved in demolition of Nigerian Embassy staff quarters in Ghana arrested
- Two persons arrested over demolition of Nigerian Embassy Staff Quarters
- Nigerian govt reacts to alleged demolition of its High Commission staff quarters in Ghana
- Police arrests two persons over demolition of Nigerian High Commission staff quarters in Ghana
- JUST IN: Nigerian Embassy Staff Quarters In Ghana Demolished
- Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, reacts as Nigerian Embassy staff quarters is demolished in Ghana
- Nigerian Immigration: Officers Arrange Marriages To Obtain Resident Permit
- FG summons Ghanaian envoy over demolition of embassy quarters
- Demolition of embassy building: Ghana will face consequences – Nigerian Reps