Governor Hope Uzodinma of Imo state has said that he invited the military to Orlu community in the state so as to prevent a repeat of the #EndSARS protest that was hijacked by hoodlums.
Orlu was in the news last week after residents of the community accused the state government of inviting the military to carry out an airstrike that was meant to kill them. Read here.
Speaking to state house correspondents after a meeting with President Buhari today February 23, the governor said Orlu became notorious for criminality after hoodlums hijacked the EndSARS protest.
“Well, the issue of bringing the military to Imo state? You recall, during the #EndSARS protests, a lot of properties were damaged in Imo state, police stations were burnt down, soldiers were killed, their rifles removed from them.
And immediately after the #EndSARS, we thought it was over. Then, issues of kidnapping, where you know, a Catholic bishop was kidnapped, who was killed. And these militants came out and began to shoot. We’ve lost lives, market women were killed, old women were raped in Orlu area of Imo state and they visited this serious terror on the citizenry.
And they I came here (presidential villa), pleaded with Mr. President for his support and he sent additional support by sending in police and the military also came in. And that is where we are.
It was on my invitation that the military came. And I did that because I know the situation was beyond the local arrangement, we needed help. And the help was given to us.
And as I speak to you the situation has come down to normal, people are now going about their businesses. And those caught will soon be charged to court. And all those military riffles from the army, the police, AK 47, and so on, were recovered by the people that came.
We are a government; it is our responsibility to protect lives. And while we have the Nigerian Army, Nigerian police. We had security challenges, we invited them to go to work” he said
Governor Uzodinma denied claims that he used the military to terrorize residents of the state.
“Well, I don’t know what you mean. I told you that our initial intelligence and the efforts to control the sporadic shootings in Orlu that led to many dead, innocent women in the market, people selling food foodstuffs dead by a group of people that we were not able to identify.
Preliminary intelligence reviewed where they were in a bush. Our local police and local military went there and confronted, were repelled.
So, we discovered that the people had serious fire power. And that, of course, Nigeria, is a federation, Imo state is a federating unit, and all over the world, you have provincial police, you have federal police. So, there was a need for me to report situation and that I did and we were supported to deal with the situation
It is not about crushing anybody and those that came didn’t do any crushing. Those that came through their intelligence identified where these people were and I can tell you, all the people arrested, all the rifles recovered are intact. The people are under interrogation, not even one, not even one soldier, or one of those militants died in the process.
I must commend DCP Abba Kyari for a brilliant job he did. So, let anybody politicize it. But I have a responsibility to protect the lives of my people.”he said
- Over one hundred cultists in Cross River community denounce cultismIn Local NewsFebruary 28, 2021Anambra State Police Command has recovered a gun stolen from one of its police stations which was attacked during the End SARS protest. The command ...[Read more]
- Kumasi Kejetia Traders clash with Management over high ‘chobo’ electricity billsIn Ghana, NewsFebruary 28, 2021Tension is mounting Kumasi New Kejetia Market as traders besieged the Kejetia Management office of Kumasi City Markets Limited over high electricity ...[Read more]
- 5 Armed Robbers strike on Wenchi highway killing 1 person, 4 others in critical conditionIn Ghana, NewsFebruary 28, 2021One person has been confirmed dead and five others including a taxi driver have sustained severe gunshot injuries after being attacked by armed ...[Read more]
- Lifeless body of baby boy found inside refuse bag collected at Suame MaakroIn Ghana, NewsFebruary 28, 2021Residents of Suame Maakro Police House have been thrown into a state of shock after discovering the lifeless body of a newly born baby wrapped in a ...[Read more]
- Nigerians drag hot model, Mya Yafai to filth over alleged affair with DavidoIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Nigerians are dragging Atlanta based model, Mya Yafai after a video surfaced online showing her and Davido, holding hands together. Davido, who is ...[Read more]
- Ada Ameh Speaks About Giving Birth Again After Losing Her Only ChildIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 28, 2021Veteran Nollywood actress Ada Ameh recently lost her only child, her daughter Aladi Godgift last year October 20, 2020, Aladi died at the age of ...[Read more]
- I check my wife’s phone every morning to block “creepy” men that send her messages – Man writesIn Viral NewsFebruary 28, 2021A Nigerian man has revealed how he checks his wife’s phone every morning to block some creepy men that send her love messages. He also disclosed how ...[Read more]
- I Love Money But I Can’t Marry Ned Nwoko – Jane ObiIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 28, 2021Beautiful fast-rising Nollywood actress, Jane Obi, gave her thoughts on marriage polygamy, and money during a recent interview, where she declared ...[Read more]
- Transborder drug trafficker arrested with N1bn worth of cocaine in Sokoto (photo)In NewsFebruary 28, 2021Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in Sokoto State have arrested a 36-year-old suspected transborder drug ...[Read more]
- Pregnant woman narrates how she landed in trouble after allowing her husband’s brother shave herIn Viral NewsFebruary 28, 2021A pregnant woman has narrated how she got into trouble with her husband, after she allowed his brother to shave her. Sharing her story to popular ...[Read more]