A Westchester County high-school teacher kicked off his first day of classes by handing out an image on the Black Lives Matter movement — comparing modern-day cops to slave owners and the Ku Klux Klan.
Westlake HS educator Christoper Moreno gave his 11th-graders a handout Sept. 8 which included a five-frame cartoon panel.
The first three frames show slave owners and a member of the KKK with their knees on the backs of black men in shackles. The KKK member also has a noose around the black man’s neck.
The last two panels depict a sheriff and a police officer each with their knees on the neck of a black man in handcuffs. The black man is saying, “I can’t breath’’ — what black Minneapolis victim George Floyd gasped as his neck was knelt on by white cop Derek Chauvin, sparking ongoing BLM protests across the country.
“My daughter showed me the paper. I said, `What is this?! You’ve got to be kidding me!’ ” said Westlake mom Ania Paternostro. “This cartoon compares the police to the KKK. It’s an attack on the police.”
The mother said she immediately fired off letters of protest to Mount Pleasant School District Superintendent Kurt Kotes and Westlake Principal Keith Schenker, whose school is in the district.
“Enough is enough,” Paternostro told The Post.
“This cartoon is disturbing. We have to respect the men in blue who protect us,” added the mom of two, a native of Poland.
“We don’t need a teacher brainwashing my kids. I’ll teach my kids about what’s right and what’s wrong.”
Her daughter Nicole said she was troubled by Moreno’s lesson plan because she considered it one-sided and anti-police, too.
“The cartoon was disgusting,’’ the teen said. “It compared the police with all the terrible people in history. It was not fair. It wasn’t right.’’
Nicole said she has been bullied on social media over the past few days and called a racist for blowing the whistle on the controversial lesson plan.
Moreno did not respond to e-mail and phone requests for comment.
Kotes and Schenker declined comment — although the superintendent sent a letter to Paternostro and the parents of other kids in the class promising an “investigation’’ into the lesson plan.
“I want to address an issue that I have recently been advised is of deep concern to many members of our community,’’ Kotes wrote in his letter.
“Specifically, I have been advised that one of our High School teachers may have recently conducted a lesson that many have deemed to be highly controversial in the current climate.
“I want to assure the community that the District will be conducting a thorough investigation to determine what exactly occurred in this particular classroom and what, if any, action is to be taken under the circumstances to appropriately address the matter,’’ he said.
“Once the investigation has been completed we will follow up with the community to the extent necessary and legally appropriate.”
Either way, the lesson did not sit well with members of Westlake’s law-enforcement community.
“It’s a smack in the face to law enforcement, it’s an absolutely a smear of the police,” Steve Kardian, a retired Mt. Pleasant police officer and former New York city Department of Investigations prober, to The Post of the cartoon.
Former Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino, a Republican running for state senate in the district, added, “Parents don’t send their children to school to learn to hate America and our police.
“Our schools should be a place for the open exchange of ideas, not political indoctrination. The false narratives and brainwashing has to stop.”
The controversy comes just weeks after the Wylie Independent School District in Texas pulled an online assignment — which featured the same cartoon — given to eighth graders.
Texas Gov. Gregg Abbott called for the teacher who assigned the lesson to be fired.
New York Post
- EndSARS: Let’s Continue To Spread Awareness – DJ CuppyOctober 26, 2020DJ Cuppy has taken to online media to encourage Nigerians to proceed with the protest against SARS and police brutality in the nation. As per her, ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Famous Nigerian comedian AY Blasts Those Asking Why No Celebrity Died During ProtestsOctober 26, 2020Famous Nigerian comedian, Ayo Makun better known as AY, has gone hard on individuals inquiring as to why no big name died during #EndSARS fights held ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Man Reveals How An Iron protector Saved His Shop From Being Looted In Imo State (+Photos)October 26, 2020A Nigerian businessman, Chima Smart Nwaneri, has taken to Twitter to uncover how an iron defender kept his shop from being burglarized in Owerri, Imo ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Cross-dresser, Bobrisky Reveals Two Things He Can Never DoOctober 26, 2020Nigerian cross-dresser, Okuneye Idris better realized as Bobrisky has uncovered two things he can never be seen doing. He made this disclosure in ...[Read more]
- Chief of Army Staff Responds To Travel Ban calls By International BodiesOctober 26, 2020Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, has responded to calls by International bodies requiring a movement boycott to be put on some military officials ...[Read more]
- All the hoodlums who are taking advantage of this season, shall not go unpunished-Bishop Oyedepo warns hoodlumsOctober 26, 2020The General Overseer of Winners Chapel International, David Oyedepo, has declared that the hoodlums who took advantage of the ENDSARS impasse to loot ...[Read more]
- See Davido’s reaction to the To Newly Discovered Camera At Lekki Toll GateOctober 26, 2020Davido, the fiance of Chioma Avril Rowlan, has disclosed how surprised and shocked he feels about the Lekki Toll Gate discovery. Amid an inspection ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Laycon to feature Neo in his new musical videoOctober 26, 2020BBNaija star Laycon has tightened the bond between him and Neo as he featured him in his upcoming music video. Laycon In a picture circulating on ...[Read more]
- This few weeks have been though on me, Laycon appreciates fans for their supportOctober 26, 2020Big Brother Naija winner, Laycon has appreciated his fans for showing him love and support over the past few weeks. He said also that the week was ...[Read more]
- David Oyedepo Says Hoodlums Destroying Properties Will Not Go UnpunishedOctober 26, 2020Directing Bishop of the Living Faith Church, David Oyedepo has said hoodlums plundering, decimating and consuming properties in Nigeria will not go ...[Read more]