Why is leave time for death in the family so short as opposed to 90 days for the birth of a child? Shouldn’t family birth and death be treated equally?
I thought I was done answering such philosophical, existential questions in grad school. I’m not making light of it though, and the subject of bereavement leave has been one I have dealt with throughout my HR career, and it wasn’t long ago when the common practice was to allocate a certain number of days depending on who in the family died. Seriously! If it was an immediate family member you got five days, but an aunt or uncle was only worth three. Insane and insensitive. Fortunately, that practice seems to have suffered a fitting death. The disparity in the amount of paid time off for a birth is easier to explain. A newborn requires care and attention 24/7 (although as a parent of a teen and one in his 20s, that hasn’t ended). That’s not to minimize the grieving process or effort required to get estate affairs in order, but that’s why there’s a longer leave practice for the birth of a child.
I love your column, but you committed a big snafu when you told that one guy who had gone on six interviews with the same company to go on the seventh. Big mistake! It’s a waste of time and money. If they don’t know after the third interview, they shouldn’t be interviewing and don’t know how to make a good decision.
I love your passion, but I don’t love your perspective, unless you think Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and many other large successful companies don’t know how to make a good decision. The interviewing process can often be longer than three interviews, and for good reason, because there’s no more important a decision a company has to make than who it hires. The best way is to bring more people into the process to get multiple perspectives and to meet the candidate several times. And, I’m not sure that walking away after three interviews is in your best interests. You have nothing to lose by respecting each company’s process until it ends one way or another, unless you have another offer elsewhere.
Gregory Giangrande has over 25 years of experience as a chief human resources executive. E-mail your questions to GoToGreg@NYPost.com. Follow Greg on Twitter: @greggiangrande and at GoToGreg.com, dedicated to helping New Yorkers get back to work.
New York Post
- Lai Mohammed is a ‘misinformed minister of information’, DJ Switch blast Lai MohammedIn EndSARSNovember 25, 2020Nigerian Dj, Obianuju Catherine Udeh, popularly known as DJ Switch has described the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed as a ‘misinformed minister ...[Read more]
- President Buhari to exempt minimum wage earners from Personal Income Tax paymentIn Nigeria NewsNovember 25, 2020President Muhammadu Buhari has said minimum wage earners would be exempted from Personal Income Tax payment. Buhari said the plan was one of the ...[Read more]
- 2023: We have a Zoning arrangement, Everyone should respect it – Fashola warns APCIn NewsNovember 25, 2020The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, has warned the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to honour the agreement ...[Read more]
- Meet Hajia Bintu, The Young Ghanaian Celebrity Causing Confusion With Her Backside On Tik TokIn GhanaNovember 25, 2020Naomi Asiamah, popularly known as Hajia Bintu, is a Ghanaian socialite and Tik Tok celebrity known for posting videos of herself twerking in ...[Read more]
- 2023: Bode George warns Buhari about Bola TinubuIn Nigeria NewsNovember 25, 2020Former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Bode George has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to be wary of those ...[Read more]
- Hajia Bintu Biography; Net Worth And Sources Of IncomeIn GhanaNovember 25, 2020Naomi Asiamah, popularly known as Hajia Bintu, is a young Tiktok star mostly known for her huge backside and her alluring twerking videos. She is a ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky Displays The Fake ‘Melons’ He Bought With His Millions; Shows His Full ChestIn Celebrity NewsNovember 25, 2020Crossdressing sensation, Bobrisky, has gotten social media talk with a photo of himself with revealing b00bs that gives the hint that the young man ...[Read more]
- “Are You Working With The Nigerian Goverment? ” – Adunni Ade Calls Out Instagram After Her Account Was Tampered WithIn Celebrity NewsNovember 25, 2020Popular Nollywood actress, Adunni Ade took to social media to call out Instagram for tampering with the account of some celebrities including her ...[Read more]
- “Thank You All For Your Well Wishes” – Dj Switch Appreciates Fans For Their Well-Wishes And PrayersIn Celebrity NewsNovember 25, 2020Dj Switch has appreciated her followers for their well-wishes and prayers throughout the Lekki Massacre Controversies In Nigeria. She expressed much ...[Read more]
- BBNaija: Has Ozo Engaged Nengi On Our Blindside? Her Latest Ring Sparks Engagement RumoursIn BBNaija, Celebrity NewsNovember 25, 2020Reality TV celeb of Big Brother Naija fame, Nengi, has been frank with her followers on the fact that she is not engaged yet in spite of being ...[Read more]