Quarantine has made birds more sultry.
The coronavirus shutdown has had a huge, unintended but generally positive impact on nature — including, new research has found, making birds sing softer, sweeter and sexier.
“When noise levels dropped during the shutdown, their songs actually sounded sexier to other birds in the population,” lead author Dr. Elizabeth Derryberry told the BBC of her study, “Singing in a silent spring: Birds respond to a half-century soundscape reversion during the COVID-19 shutdown,” published Thursday in the journal Science.
Researchers analyzed the songs of the San Francisco Bay area’s white-crowned sparrows, which have been recorded since the 1970s, and found that, in lockdown, with less human background noise, their calls shifted to become quieter and more efficient. When the urban soundscape quieted in the area, “birds responded by producing higher performance songs at lower amplitudes, effectively maximizing communication distance and salience,” confirmed the study’s abstract.
Even before the research was published this week, many locals had observed the difference with their naked ears.
“People were right that birds did sound different during the shutdown and they filled the soundscape that we basically abandoned,” said Derryberry, who is also an associate professor of behavioral evolution at the University of Tennessee. “As we moved out of the soundscape, the birds moved in and I think this tells us something about just how big an effect we have on birdsong and on communication, especially in cities.”
While it is uniquely interesting that birds in such a large, well-known American city should react to a historical event in such a way, responding to lower noise levels with quieter songs is a common response known as the Lombard effect. (It’s a similar concept to the cocktail party effect in humans, where people raise their voices higher in louder rooms to ensure they’re heard.)
The study’s findings are uplifting nonetheless, with positive implications for the human and bird residents of San Francisco.
“This study shows that when you reduce noise pollution there’s almost an immediate effect on wildlife behavior and that’s really exciting because so many things that we do to try to help the environment take a long time to improve,” said Derryberry. “It improves your state of being and mental health to be able to hear more birds and I think the shutdown highlighted that.”
New York Post
- Video of Nigerians in Scotland calling President Buhari a bad boy surfaces online, Watch video hereOctober 25, 2020Nigerians who are outside the country is not giving up at all as they keep on protesting until the government will listen to them and reach out to ...[Read more]
- Femi Kuti encourages BBNaija for her act of kindness towards the needyOctober 25, 2020The wife of popular Nigerian musician Femi Kuti has out of her heart showered Big Brother Nigeria star, Erica, with divine blessings for her act of ...[Read more]
- Davido advises protesters from burning down police stations, burning buses and looting shopsOctober 25, 2020CEO of DMW Davido has taken to social media to condemn protesters burning down police stations, burning buses and looting shops. According to Davido, ...[Read more]
- See what Nengi told her fansOctober 25, 2020Former BBNaija housemate Nengi has admonished her fans to desist from insulting people on her behalf. Nengi According to her, they should rather show ...[Read more]
- See what is going on between BBNaija Prince and EricaOctober 25, 2020Former Big Brother Naija Housemates, Prince and Erica have got fans talking after a photo of the two from a video call hit the internet. ...[Read more]
- ENDSARS: Nigerians In Paris Stage Their Protest In Solidarity With Those At Home (+Photos)October 25, 2020The protest to see a conclusion to police brutalities looks positive and unabated in spite of the administration intrigues. So as to end it at home, ...[Read more]
- See Gorgeous Photos From Ex-BBNaija Housemate, Tolanibaj’s BirthdayOctober 25, 2020Previous Big Brother Naija housemate, Tolanibaj turned 27 5 days prior and denoted her birthday at a private gathering. Tragically, she was unable to ...[Read more]
- Fearless Ibrah Says Kennedy Agyapong Will Go Mad Or Commit Suicide Before 10th JanuaryOctober 25, 2020Ghanaian mogul Ibrahim Dauda prevalently known as Ibrah One is attempting to place himself into inconvenience again as he has begun another battle he ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky Says He Is Done With Makeup (+Photo)October 25, 2020Well known Nigerian crossdresser Bobrisky has guaranteed his fans to avoid cosmetics and serve them with his natural beauty. As per Bobrisky, he will ...[Read more]
- Man Calls Out Comedian Ebiye For Selling A Benz He Purchased From HimOctober 25, 2020A man @MrPsalms on Twitter, has accused Comedian Ebiye of selling the Benz he purchased from him using a loan and losing the cash to forex exchanging ...[Read more]