Haruna Mohammed Salisu, publisher of WikkiTimes, an online news platform, and his family have been threatened following the publication of an investigative report exposing how Yakubu Dogara, a former speaker of the House of Representative and Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) squandered N1 billion constituency school project.
The investigation revealed that the former Speaker squandered N1 billion allocated to building model schools in Bauchi South Federal Constituency.
The publisher said “At about 3:27 pm, my younger brother called me and told me that some three men in Peugeot 406 with a covered number plate came to my house and were asking for my whereabouts.
“He told them that I have travelled, and they asked if he was aware of a ‘damaging’ story I did about Yakubu Dogara, he told them that he was not aware of anything.
“They told him to tell me that since I have done my own; I should wait for their own.”
The story which detailed how the former Speaker falls short in delivering the model school project also unearthed how the contractors who were awarded the contracts shortchanged several communities billed to benefit from the project.
The threats came hours after a group, Dogara Digital Media Support Team wrote and circulated a purported rejoinder debunking WikkiTimes’ Investigation.
The latest threat to the publisher is coming just 3 months after a similar threat was issued to him following an investigationwhich detailed how Makkah Eye Clinic, owned by Saudi Arabia Albasar International Foundation, deviated from its creed of affordable healthcare and resorted to charging clients three times the amount in similar private institutions.
The Committee to Protect JCPJ has reported that Nigeria is one of the countries where journalists are unsafe. According to CPJ, between 1992 to 2023, at least 24 Nigerian journalists have either died or got missing while doing their jobs.
Newzandar News – News
- WikkiTimes Insists Its Story On Ex-House Of Representatives’ Speaker, Dogara, UBEC Mismanagement of Constituency Projects Is True
- What Peter Amewu did to win the Hohoe constituency seat for the NPP (FULL STORY)
- Sports Illustrated publisher ousts CEO James Heckman after slew of controversies
- Twitter wants to target conservatives — with none of a publisher’s responsibilities
- Kristen Doute’s Publisher Stops Promoting New Book From Ex-‘Vanderpump Rules’ Star
- Crusading publisher and author Sir Harold Evans dies at 92
- Publisher of Cuomo’s COVID-19 book stops promotion amid nursing home probe
- Cutbacks expected at Sports Illustrated publisher the Maven
- Publisher claims N500m in defamation suit
- Kristen Doute’s book publisher cuts ties with her amid ‘Vanderpump Rules’ firing