Gov Godwin Obaseki
Salutes courage, commitment
The Edo State Governor, Mr Godwin Obaseki, has urged journalists to uphold the ethics of the journalism profession and live up to their responsibilities of providing reliable and credible information to the public, noting that accurate and fact-based news reports and analysis were necessary for governments efforts to contain the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Obaseki said this in commemoration of the 2020 World Press Freedom Day with the theme, ‘Journalism without Fear or Favour,’ marked every May 3, by the United Nations and other sister organs.
The governor noted that journalists as society’s watch-dog and members of the exalted fourth estate of the realm have an obligation to report only verified, fact-based and objective news in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, as whatever they report have implications on how quickly the outbreak is contained and the number of lives that will be saved.
Governor Obaseki who identified journalists and the media as critical to getting the right messages to communities reassured that his administration will continue to ensure the safety and security of all media practitioners in the state.
According to him, “As we mark the World Press Freedom Day, I want to urge media practitioners to uphold the ethics of the journalism profession, leverage on the power of the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act and ensure they provide the public with fact-based, verified and credible information.
“Amid the welter of information swirling about the novel coronavirus, it has become even more imperative for journalists to effectively perform their role of providing reliable and credible information to the public. Accuracy and balance should be integral when reporting situations that compromise public health, such as this outbreak; reporting the facts with a genuine intent to inform the public should be paramount.”
“I also commend the display of courage and commitment by our journalists who daily, among other essential professionals, have remained on the frontlines of efforts in curtailing the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic,” he said.
The UN General Assembly in 1993 proclaimed May 3 as World Press Freedom Day, following a recommendation adopted at the twenty-sixth session of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) General Conference in 1991. It is a date to encourage and develop initiatives in favour of press freedom and to assess the state of press freedom worldwide.
- INEC Planning To Make NIN Compulsory For Voter’s RegistrationIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 20, 2021The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC is considering making the National Identity Number, NIN a precondition for registering voters ...[Read more]
- Gonja Traditional Council loses powerful Paramount Chief Kusawguwura S.S. Kunkarga IIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 20, 2021The death has been reported of the Paramount Chief for the Kusawgu traditional area in the Central Gonja district of the Savannah region his Royal ...[Read more]
- Tamale Medical Stores Fraud: Service Person appears before court todayIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 20, 2021The National Service Personnel, Danyagiri Mark who has been in detention since December 17, 2020 over the alleged massive fraud at the Tamale Medical ...[Read more]
- Fulham vs Man United: Solskjaer names players that didn’t train ahead of EPL clashIn SportsJanuary 20, 2021Former England and Liverpool striker, Michael Owen, has predicted some of the Premier League’s midweek games. A tricky challenge awaits Manchester ...[Read more]
- We Did What We Came To Do – Donald Trump Delivers Farewell SpeechIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 20, 2021In a few hours President Donald Trump will cease to be the president of the United States of America and has a part of his ceremony the president ...[Read more]
- Nigerian man records himself in a snow-filled environment to prove he’s in Europe not Ghana (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 20, 2021A Nigerian man residing in Europe, has shared a video of himself in an environment covered with snow to clear the air on speculations that he is in ...[Read more]
- The 4th Floor!!! Timi Dakolo Celebrates 40th BirthdayIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 20, 2021R&B singer Timi Dakolo turns the big 40 today and he is celebrating with some stunning new photos. The singer shared the snaps on his Instagram ...[Read more]
- “There’s only one Tacha, adding BBNaija to my name is unnecessary” – TachaIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 20, 2021Nigerian reality TV star, Natacha Ibinabo Akide, aka Tacha, has warned against attaching BBNaija to her name as there is only one Tacha. The former ...[Read more]
- Comedian Sydney Talker ties the knot with reality star, Nengi (Video)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 20, 2021Popular Instagram comedian, Sydney Talker may have tied the knot with the reality star, Nengi Hampson as the duo pose in stunning wedding photos. It ...[Read more]
- 2023: Reject Bola Tinubu’s presidential ambition – Nnamdi Kanu warns NigeriansIn NewsJanuary 20, 2021The Vice-Chancellor of Modibbo Adama University, Yola, Prof. Abdullahi Liman Tukur has stated that the University has transformed from a ...[Read more]