The Academic Staff Union of Universities, on Tuesday, insisted that Nigerian universities in the country are not ready to re-open at the moment.
The Union said it finds it difficult to return to classes in the middle of a second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Recall that the National Universities Commission (NUC) had earlier directed the lecturers to go back to classes on January 18, 2021.
But ASUU is demanding that the Nigerian Government should review the decision owing to the increase in COVID-19 cases around the country.
“Our concern is rooted in the safety of our members,” ASUU’s National President, Biodun Ogunyemi, told Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday.
“What happens to congested hostels, crowded classrooms? What flexible arrangements are in place? It is a situation of emergency. I’m not sure the Universities can cope,” he said.
When asked if e-learning was an option for universities, the ASUU President said the necessary infrastructure was not in place.
“We are aware that some universities are putting measures in place, with alternative learning models,” he said, adding “some are even trying blended classes, virtual and physical.
“But these efforts are limited. They get to a point they can’t go further.
“ASUU has been talking about revitalisation since 2012. These are some of the areas where the assistance would have helped. Universities need huge funds to do this.
“People are saying start virtual classes, but more than 60 percent of our students will run into trouble – they can’t afford data or smartphones.”
ASUU had on Wednesday December 23, 2020 called off its ten-month-old industrial action.
The prolonged strike was due to Federal Government’s delay in meeting the agreements reached with the union.
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) reported 1244 new cases of COVID-19 infections in the country..
NCDC reported that the country now has a total of 1,361 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
Nigeria now has over 100,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- NPP MPs went to the chamber at 4am to prove they’re ‘very punctual’ – Afenyo MarkinIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 15, 2021The Deputy Leader of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) caucus in Parliament Afenyo Markin has said that his colleagues went to Parliament as early as 3am ...[Read more]
- PHOTO: See new looks of Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom of GN BankIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 15, 2021Dr. Papa Kwesi Nduom who is credited with Group Nduom and other companies in Ghana has for some time now been out of the public eye. The Man has ...[Read more]
- Our MP is not an Ivorian – Jomoro NDC responds to dual citizen claimsIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 15, 2021The National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Jomoro Constituency has rubbished the malicious publications that its Member of Parliament (MP) Dorcas ...[Read more]
- Akufo-Addo still needs the services of some old folks – Abronye DC replies NPP grassroots youthful govt callIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 15, 2021The Bono Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Kwame Baffoe popularly known as Abronye DC is warning lobbyists that nobody can force ...[Read more]
- Only first term NPP MPs rushed to parliament at 4am – Social Media Users React to Majority seats tussleIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 15, 2021Ghanaians woke up to the shock of their lives as Members of Parliament for the New Patriotic Party (NPP) were already in Parliament as early as 4am. ...[Read more]
- PHOTONEWS: Senate President, others attend Armed Forces Remembrance DayIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Operatives of the Nigeria Police have filed criminal charges against a lawyer, James Idih and Otomiewo Ufuoma before the Magistrate Court in Abuja ...[Read more]
- False evidence: Police slams criminal charges against lawyer, one otherIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Operatives of the Nigeria Police have filed criminal charges against a lawyer, James Idih and Otomiewo Ufuoma before the Magistrate Court in Abuja ...[Read more]
- Fake COVID-19 vaccine in Nigeria – NAFDAC warnsIn Health, NewsJanuary 15, 2021The World Health Organisation (WHO) has revealed that the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide has surpassed 90 million, with a total of 90,054,813. ...[Read more]
- BREAKING: NYSC releases postings for 2020 Batch B IIIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) on Friday revealed that it had received reports of the importation of fake ...[Read more]
- Sokoto commissioner for home affairs, Abdulkadir Jeli-Abubakar is deadIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Alhaji Abdulkadir Jeli-Abubakar, the commissioner for home affairs in Sokoto state is dead. Malam Muhammad Bello, Special Adviser on Media and ...[Read more]