Leaders and stakeholders of Igbo extraction have reacted to the emergence of Professor George Obiozor as the new President General of the apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
Recall that two different elections, held consecutively on Saturday and Sunday produced Chidi Ibeh and George Obiozor as the President Generals of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
Reacting, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu representing Abia South Senatorial district and former Abia State Governor, congratulated Nigeria’s former Ambassador to the United States of America (USA), Professor George Obiozor, on his election as President General of the highest Igbo body.
Kalu, who is the Senate Majority Chief Whip, stressed that the ex-envoy’s pedigree and goodwill earned him robust support from Ndigbo worldwide.
The former Abia Governor, who spoke in a message on Monday, congratulated the newly elected members of National Executive Committee, NEC, of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
He also felicitated with the newly elected Vice-President and Secretary-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Dr. Kingsley Lawrence, and Chief Okey Emuchay, respectively, both who are indigenes of Abia State.
While re-affirming his confidence in the newly elected executive committee headed by Professor Obiozor, Senator Orji Kalu noted that Ndigbo is blessed with personalities, across various fields of human endeavour, many of whom have carved a niche for themselves in their professions beyond the shores of Nigeria.
His words, “I was elated when I received the news of the election of Nigeria’s former Ambassador to the United States of America (USA), Professor George Obiozor as President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
“The emergence of Professor Obiozor is not a surprise to me, owing to the new President-General’s rich and intimidating profile. The new President General has over the years built and sustained relationships locally and internationally.
“He has the wherewithal to advance the cause of Ndigbo in a united and indivisible Nigeria. I have no doubt that the newly elected executives will consolidate on the achievements of the outgoing executives under the leadership of Chief John Nwodo”.
Senator Kalu applauded Chief John Nnia Nwodo for his maturity, patriotism, and consistency during his tenure as President-General.
The former Governor, however, promised to sustain his support for Ohanaeze Ndigbo, adding that the apex Igbo socio-cultural organization is a pride of Ndigbo at home and abroad.
On his part, Minister of State for Mines and Steel Development, Dr. Uche Ogah, described the emergence of former Nigeria’s Ambassador to the United States of America, Professor George Obiozor as the new President-General of pan-Igbo socio-cultural group, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, as a victory for all Igbo sons.
The Minister, in a message on Monday, said Prof. Obiozor’s acceptance is evidently seen in the wide range of support he enjoyed from Ndigbo across the globe.
While emphasizing that the diplomat has a local and international appeal to amplify the voices of Ndigbo, Ogah expressed confidence that the new Ohanaeze leadership will make a significant effort in achieving the aspirations of Ndigbo worldwide.
“The emergence of new leadership for Ohanaeze in most peaceful manner is indeed a thing of pride for our people. This is coming at a time when the need for every Igbo son and daughter to stand up and be counted has become even more imperative.
“Professor Obiozor is not just a renowned diplomat but a bright scholar who has devoted several decades in placing Nigeria and the Igbo community on a map of pride.
“I have no doubt that he would justify the support and acceptance he enjoyed that later brought him into office.
“The onus is also on us to offer Professor Obiozor and his team the needed backing to succeed,” he added.
In his reaction, the Chancellor/Proprietor, Gregory University Uturu, Prof. Gregory Ibe congratulated the newly elected President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Professor George Obiozor, saying it raises the confidence in Ndigbo to look to the future with assurance that all will be well.
Professor Ibe, in a statement he made available on Monday, stated that Ndigbo have with the peaceful election demonstrated that they have a leading light in Prof. Obiozor who can speak for them.
He said, “our people have shown the entire world and all Nigerians that in you, we have a true leading light that would speak on behalf of our renowned race, stand for justice, equity and progress of our people.
“This victory accorded you today by God through his people has inspired great confidence in Ndigbo to look to the future with assurance that all will be well.We remain upbeat that your pedigree and distinguished personality will guide the course of our future as a people”.
- Amosun, Akinlade mourn Martins-KuyeIn NewsJanuary 17, 2021Former Ogun State Governor, Sen. Ibikunle Amosun and a governorship candidate, Hon. Adekunle Akinlade has sympathised with the family of a late ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: Lagos govt gives update on academic schedule for public, private schoolsIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 17, 2021Former Ogun State Governor, Sen. Ibikunle Amosun and a governorship candidate, Hon. Adekunle Akinlade has sympathised with the family of a late ...[Read more]
- Former NYS Dem Party head gets vaccinated — in FloridaIn USAJanuary 17, 2021It’s all going south. A former head of New York Democratic Party has already received his first dose of the coronavirus vaccine — no thanks to Gov. ...[Read more]
- Starbucks shuts down several Manhattan stores over possible protestsIn USAJanuary 17, 2021Several Starbucks stores across Manhattan shuttered Sunday amid fears of protests, the company said. The coffee-chain giant cited possible ...[Read more]
- NYC families say DOE dropped French dual-language program at last minuteIn USAJanuary 17, 2021The city Department of Education abandoned a fledgling French dual-language program at the 11th-hour last week after stonewalling parents for months, ...[Read more]
- Four reportedly killed, residents desert community as cultists clash in BakassiIn Local NewsJanuary 17, 2021Two cemetery guards were on Sunday arrested by men of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, otherwise known as Amotekun Corps for alleged ...[Read more]
- NY man busted for alleged role in Capitol riot — after outing himself onlineIn USAJanuary 17, 2021A New York man has been arrested for his alleged role in the deadly US Capitol invasion — after posting an image of the mob to Instagram with the ...[Read more]
- Ex- Oyo Amateur Boxing Chair, Opaleye is deadIn SportsJanuary 17, 2021A former Chairman, Oyo State Amateur Boxing Association, Mr. Akintunde Opaleye is dead. DAILY POST gathered that Olaleye died on Sunday at the ...[Read more]
- Arsenal vs Newcastle: Gunners give injury updates on Martinelli, TierneyIn SportsJanuary 17, 2021Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, will have Gabriel Martinelli and Kieran Tierney available for Monday night’s Premier League game with Newcastle. ...[Read more]
- Video captures suspects in Staten Island recording-studio shootingIn USAJanuary 17, 2021Chilling video shows the moment two armed suspects burst into a Staten Island recording studio Saturday and opened fire — killing a 23-year-old man ...[Read more]