Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that 69 people lost their lives in the #EndSARS protest in the nation.
As per the BBC, Buhari revealed this during a virtual gathering with previous pioneers and security bosses on Friday October 23. He said that 51 regular people, 11 cops, and seven troopers were slaughtered in the distress.
The President was quoted saying in a statement released by Femi Adesina that the killing came off an “initial genuine and well-intended protest of youths which was hijacked and misdirected”.
The statement read;
”Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call off the protest and engage the government to address their grievances. Instead, they became emboldened and gradually turned violent.
”We shall also continue to ensure that liberty and freedom, as well as the fundamental rights of all citizens are protected. Here, I want to also reaffirm our commitment to preserving the unity of this country.
“The President thanked the former Heads of State for attending the meeting and their invaluable comments, observations and advice, adding that ‘Nigerians expect nothing less from responsible statesmen’.
“Each of the former leaders commended President Buhari for steps taken so far to restore calm and order to the country and also applauded the presidential broadcast of Thursday as detailed and soothing to the country.
“The former heads of state were unanimous in their view that generation of employment and growing the economy including through direct foreign investments were critical to checking youth restiveness.
“The former heads of state also condemned the divisive and inciting pronouncements of separatists and were of the opinion that such acts should be stopped.
“Equally, the former leaders commended the actions taken by governors to address the demands of the ENDSARS protesters and their efforts to check the excesses of those who perpetrated violent acts and conduct.
“Finally, they called on youths to pursue peaceful means, in seeking redress through engagement with government and encouraged further conversation with the youths and other stakeholders in the country.”
- These NYC first responders fear COVID-19 vaccine side effectsIn USADecember 5, 2020More than half of New York City firefighters say they won’t be vaccinated for COVID-19 when the potentially life-saving shot becomes available to ...[Read more]
- Soaring car theft in NYC sees return of The ClubIn USADecember 5, 2020Welcome back to The Club. Car theft has gotten so bad in New York City, that some cops are steering people to an ’80s throwback security device — The ...[Read more]
- Years After Releasing the Song, ‘Yahooze’, Here Are the Latest Photos of Olu MaintainIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Olumide Edwards Adegbulu also known as Olu Maintain endeared himself to a lot of music fans with his popular song ‘Yahooze’ released as far back as ...[Read more]
- 7 Years After He Quit Acting, Emeka Ike Finally Explains The Reason For His ActionsIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Ace Nollywood actor, Emeka Ike, has finally provided the reason why he quit the acting game prematurely at a time his career was flourishing. – ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Stuns In New Photos With Her First Child With Ned NwokoIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Nollywood actress and wife of Nigerian billionaire, Ned Nwoko, Regina Daniels has shared some stunning photos of herself and her 5 months old son, ...[Read more]
- The Current Look Of Mike Ezuruonye, Months After The Eye SurgeryIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Renowned Nigerian Actor, Mike Ezuronye, has made a first public appearance on his social media page months after taking a French leave. The actor ...[Read more]
- “The Coronavirus Pandemic Has Really Affected Me” – Angela Okorie RevealsIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Nigerian actress, Angela Okorie, has disclosed how she was affected by the covid-19 pandemic. Angela Okorie According to her, she canceled a lot of ...[Read more]
- Unemployment Turned Me To A Crossdresser – Bobrisky’s Apprentice, James Brown ExplainsIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Controversial Nigerian cross-dresser James Brown has finally opened up on the reason behind him dressing like a woman whiles pointing out that ...[Read more]
- “Don’t Be Afraid To Ask Men For Money” – Relationship Expert, Oloni Of Ibadan, Advices WomenIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Nigerian relationship expert, Oloni of Ibadan, has sent an advisory message about finances in relationships. In a tweet spotted on her Twitter ...[Read more]
- “You had one single wrapper just for us to see what to eat” – Lady says as she gifts her mom a brand new car (Photos/Videos)In Viral NewsDecember 5, 2020A Nigerian lady who is a rice seller, has bought her mother a new car for neglecting material things just to raise her and her siblings. The lady ...[Read more]