Gunmen have attacked a convoy of Senator Clifford Ordia, leaving three police officers injured.
The Cable reports that the attack occurred on Monday along Okene-Lokoja road in Kogi state.
Ordia who represents Edo central in the senate, was returning to Abuja from his hometown in Edo state when the gunmen rained bullets on his convoy.
He made this known while speaking with journalists on Wednesday in Abuja.
The lawmaker said; “I’m seriously traumatised by the experience.
“We were coming from Edo state, somewhere between Okene and Lokoja, when we met these suspected bandits. They opened fire on my convoy. The gallant policemen had to immediately return fire.
“The other security vehicle behind had to immediately join them and they were able to repel the suspected bandits. During the exchange, three of the policemen sustained gun wounds. One of them was critically injured. We had to immediately rush them to the Federal Medical Centre in Lokoja, Kogi state.
“They did their best and were able to stabilise them. I’d to immediately put a call across the Federal Medical Centre in Abuja to be on standby. One of the policemen had a bullet lodged close to his liver.
“We met another setback around Abaji. There was traffic because of the incidence and because we had to save the lives of the wounded policemen, we decided to make a move. They opened fire on us. Some vigilantes had to join the policemen and they were chased into the bush.
“That was how I survived that attack. If you see all my vehicles, you will see how the bullets damaged them.”
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) senator said the federal government must take urgent measures to secure lives and property across the country.
- Nigeria: Suspected Boko Haram Gunmen Attack Borno Governor’s Convoy
- Obaseki convoy attack: Gunmen sponsored by Shaibu ― Oshiomhole’s aide alleges
- Gunmen attack Benue state governor, Samuel Ortom’s convoy
- HAPPENING NOW: Unknown Gunmen Burns 2 Police Van, Kills 5 Policemen As They Ambushed Military Convoy In Imo State
- Two policemen, woman killed as gunmen ambush convoy carrying âVIPsâ in Delta
- Gunmen open fire on Borno state governor’s convoy
- Gunmen open fire on Borno governor’s convoy
- Two palace guards, 3 police escorts, others killed as gunmen ambush Zamfara Emir’s convoy
- Kogi: Three feared killed, cows shot as gunmen attack Fulani community
- BREAKING: Gunmen attack Kogi FMC, steal documents, destroy offices [Photos]