Ifa priest and Iconic writer, Oloye Yemi Elebuibon has stated that the adherents of the African traditional religions will push for a bill that will protect the rights of their children in schools and other organisations against religious sentiments.
Elebuibon, who spoke with SaharaReporters on Thursday said everyone should be allowed to put on their religious emblems whether hijabs, rosary or traditional beads.
This follows a report that states that the Religious Discrimination (Prohibition, Prevention) Bill, 2020, pending before the House of Representatives is seeking to compel the Armed Forces and para-military organisations to permit female officers to wear the Islamic veil, commonly known as hijab.
Article 13(2) of the bill stated that “Any person employed in the security sector, whether within the military or paramilitary or otherwise, shall not be discriminated against on the ground of the exercise of his right to the manifestation of his religion in worship, teaching, practice and observance such as wearing religious emblem, head cover, or hijab in concomitant with the common uniform code or code of conduct in relation to the choice of colour, type, or design of such religious emblem, religious headcover or hijab.”
Elebuibon, in reaction, said it is a welcome development but should not be limited to hijabs alone. He said the rights and dignities of every Nigerian should be respected irrespective of their religious beliefs.
He alleged that African traditional religion adherents suffer harassment mostly from those of other religions at schools and other organisations.
According to him, some years ago, one of his sons, who had worn a protection bead to school was asked to remove it, refusal of which attracted punishment from the teacher.
Elebuibon said religious discrimination on Ifa worshippers is huge as they suffer in silence, mostly because of lack of their own schools and places of worships compared to the proliferation of such structures for Christianity and Islam in Nigeria.
He said Ifa adherents will push for a law that will protect traditional worshippers specifically from religious discriminations, harassments and threats they are faced with daily.
He said, “There have been cases where some of our children wear some of our emblems to schools and they get punished for it. One of my sons in school about five years ago wore one of the Ide Ifa beads to school, a teacher asked him to remove it and the boy refused because Ide Ifa is for protection not only for beauty, I had to go to the school and tell them that it is our own traditional way of dressing before the matter was resolved. When I went to my son’s school, they stopped harassing him and I encourage every other person to do the same thing.
“This is an embarrassment for Ifa adherents that these imported religions have been giving to us, they don’t need to mind all these. Let Muslims wear hijabs, let Babalawo wear their beads, let the Christians wear crucifix, I don’t see any problem with that. It’s only the traditional religious adherents that suffer because we don’t have schools or places of worship like them. We are the ones who suffer in silence.
“It is a challenge for us, we have to build our own schools, churches so that each person can go to schools patterned after their religious beliefs, so we can avoid conflicts. We will push for a law that will protect traditional worshippers specifically.”
The Religious Discrimination (Prohibition, Prevention) Bill, 2020, which has passed second reading at the House, was sponsored by the Deputy Chairman of the House Committee on Finance and Member representing Bida/Gbako/Katcha Federal Constituency, Saidu Abdullahi.
Article 13 of the bill titled, ‘Discrimination in employment in security and other sectors,’ prohibits the military from discriminating against anyone wearing a hijab.
- “Don’t force relationships, money can be your soulmate” – BBNaija’s OmasholaIn Celebrity NewsApril 22, 2021Reality star, Kola Omashola has asserted that people ought not to force relationships, hence money can actually be one’s soulmate. The Big Brother ...[Read more]
- Video of dog that understands Yoruba and knows how to ”Soro Soke” (Video)In Gossip, Viral NewsApril 22, 2021A dog has gone viral on social media after its owner filmed it responding appropriately to instructions given in Yoruba. The owner who spoke only ...[Read more]
- “What rubbish!” – Reactions as man in suit rolls on the ground as a disguise to propose to his heartthrobIn Viral NewsApril 22, 2021A man has impressed his heartthrob in the most unimaginable way by rolling on the ground before making a formal marriage proposal to his babe. ...[Read more]
- Police Rescue Abducted Student Of Osun State College Of Health TechnologyIn Nigeria NewsApril 22, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Operatives of the Osun State Police Command have rescued a 25-year-old female student of the Osun State College of Health Technology. ...[Read more]
- 2 Nurses Abducted As Bandits Storm Kaduna HospitalIn Nigeria NewsApril 22, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Two nurses have been reportedly abducted by bandits in Kaduna. These bandits reportedly stormed the hospital, Idon General Hospital in ...[Read more]
- “My God is working” – Davido celebrates as ‘Jowo’ hits over 25M viewsIn Celebrity NewsApril 22, 2021Previous articleComedian, Mr Funny acquires Mercedes Benz jeep Credit: Gistreel...[Read more]
- Karim Zito retains Black Satellites post – Samuel Boadu gets assistant roleIn GhanaApril 22, 2021Advertisement Abdul Karim Zito has been retained as Head Coach of the Black Satellites. The former Nsawam Cannery, Asante Kotoko and Ghana right back ...[Read more]
- Man mumbles anti-Asian comment, gestures to punch woman in NYC: copsIn USAApril 22, 2021A man mumbled an anti-Asian comment to a woman before making a threatening gesture in Lower Manhattan earlier this month, cops said Thursday. ...[Read more]
- Imperfect Foods wants to make your Earth Day perfect with promo codeIn LifestyleApril 22, 2021Let’s be honest, our current food system needs some work. However, working toward eliminating food waste and promoting sustainable practices is far ...[Read more]
- Comedian, Mr Funny acquires Mercedes Benz jeepIn Celebrity NewsApril 22, 2021Comedian, Mr Funny takes to social media to announce the arrival of his exotic Mercedes Benz jeep. Mr Funny shared a photo of himself striking a pose ...[Read more]