Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike has asked the Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government to provide answers to the $1 billion that was withdrawn from the Excess Crude Account to purchase arms for the fight against insecurity.
Speaking during a Channels TV interview on Monday, Wike asked President Muhammadu Buhari to hold officials accountable for their actions.
Ad. Click here to learn cryptocurrency trading for free, take your slot now. Powered by Correct Bro Team on Telegram.
The National Economic Council had on December 15, 2017 agreed to utilise $1billion from Nigeria’s excess crude account to tackle Boko Haram insurgency and other security challenges.
Four years after, several questions have been raised by many, including Governor Wike regarding the purchase of the equipment, especially as insecurity has worsened since then.
“I remember there was a time when $1 billion was taken from the Excess Crude Account to provide for security. Where is the equipment that we bought,” Wike questioned.
“If I should release that money as the Chief Security Officer, knowing how Nigeria is, I will make sure that those weapons and the right ones were bought.”
The governor also reacted to the decision of the House of Representatives to summon the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru and the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, over the procurement of arms.
He also faulted the response of the army chief over the arms purchase during his appearance before the lower chamber.
Wike added, “I was surprised when I was watching the television when the House of Representatives invited the Chief of Army Staff about the purchase of weapons and he said ‘look, you know the right people to ask.
“You have to take leadership. Even if those who were at the helms of affairs of security, the onus is on you, you can still summon them back. “
- GPLwk23: Karela finally win; Dwarfs vs Legon Cities abandoned after fans threatened RefereesIn Ghana, NewsMay 9, 2021Karela United finally secured a win at the 6th time of asking since the second round of the league started more than one month ago with a hard fought ...[Read more]
- Man joyfully tattoos face of reality star, Mercy Eke on his arm (Video)In Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Die-hard fan inks the tattoo of the face of his favourite reality star, Mercy Eke, a.k.a Lambo on his arm as he joyfully shows it off. A video making ...[Read more]
- Times Square shooter was allegedly aiming for his brother, sources revealIn USAMay 9, 2021The NYPD is still hunting for the suspect, identified by sources as 31-year-old illegal CD peddler Farrakhan Muhammad. The suspected Times Square ...[Read more]
- Video shows ‘hero’ NYPD cop running with wounded child after Times Square shootingIn USAMay 9, 2021Stunning surveillance footage captures a “hero” female cop frantically running through Times Square with the youngest victim of Saturday’s shooting ...[Read more]
- “Never set out to make money from your customers” – Reno Omokri warn entrepreneursIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Public speaker and author, Reno Omokri has urged entrepreneurs to desist from making money from their customers, urging them to add meaning to their ...[Read more]
- “New meme loading” – Reactions as Osita Iheme “Pawpaw” shares photo of himself drinking waterIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Netizens react as a veteran pint-size actor, Osita Iheme, popularly known as “Pawpaw” shares a cool picture of himself drinking table water. The ...[Read more]
- MTA’s Sarah Feinberg says subway safety will improve as riders returnIn USAMay 9, 2021New York City’s subways will be safer once the subways hit 4 or 5 million daily riders, Interim Transit President Sarah Feinberg said Sunday — while ...[Read more]
- Niger boat accident death toll hits 28In Local News, NewsMay 9, 2021The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) busted a drug cartel that sells drugged cookies, cakes, and brownies to residents of Abuja and ...[Read more]
- Abuja: NDLEA bursts cartel selling drugs online, arrests 5In Local NewsMay 9, 2021The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) busted a drug cartel that sells drugged cookies, cakes, and brownies to residents of Abuja and ...[Read more]
- Man Renounces His Position In His Family As The First BornIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT A man identified as Kingsley Ifeanyi has renounced his position as the firstborn in his family. Obviously overwhelmed by the enormity ...[Read more]