The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, has corroborated the news of the re-arrest of its leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu by the Federal Government.
Kanu was extradited from the UK by joint forces of the Nigerian security operatives and the Interpol.
In a statement by Bar. Ifeanyi Ejiofor, IPOB/Nnamdi Kanu lead Counsel, he asked that Kanu’s fundamental rights must be respected while in custody.
The statement read:
“We have just confirmed through a correspondence from the Federal High Court Abuja, about the arrest and the extradition of my Client- Mazi Nnamdi Kanu by the Nigerian State.
It is to be noted, therefore, that no matter the gravity of the offences or charge preferred against him, Section 36(5) of the Constitution still presumes him innocent of the allegation.
He was brought before the Federal High Court No 2 Abuja today on an Eleven count charge, though without our knowledge.
As it is in the public domain, the matter has been consequently adjourned to the 26th Day of July 2023, for Continuation of Trial.
The legal team ably led by my humble self will meet them in court on this date.
We insist that he must be given a fair hearing/trial which is his constitutionally protected right.
His safety as also guaranteed under our law throughout the trial and afterwards, should be enforced.
Our fortified Legal team will be meeting to agree on strategies within the context of the Charge and disposition of the Court.
Await further update from us as we progress.
Thank you and remain blessed.
Bar. Ifeanyi Ejiofor
IPOB/Nnamdi Kanu lead Counsel.
Source: Newzandar News
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanus should rethink, Special offer await you – Orji Kalu
- Biafra: 10 more Nnamdi Kanus will arise – Omokri dares Buhari
- Nnamdi Kanu Will Get A Fair Trial- Lai Mohammed
- It Is Not Fair To Compare Herdsmen To IPOB Because They Only Kidnap Children For Money While IPOB Kill Security Agents – Sheik Gumi (video)
- Biafra: Sowore demands immediate release of IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu
- Nnamdi Kanu orders IPOB to Kill security agents as Ohanaeze begs IPOB to resist taking up arms
- SERAP seeks fair trial for Magu over alleged infractions
- Ghislaine Maxwell’s lawyers file appeal, say secret sex life files may prevent fair trial
- EFCC probe: Magu kicks against secret trial, fair hearing denial by panel
- Lawyers claim releasing Ghislaine Maxwell files will threaten fair trial