The federal government says kidnapping and banditry are not federal offences in Nigeria.
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed stated this on Tuesday, in response to the statement on insecurity by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
Ad. Click here to learn cryptocurrency trading for free, take your slot now. Powered by Correct Bro Team on Telegram.
“It is shocking that a party that ruled this nation for all of 16 years does not know that kidnapping and banditry are not federal offences”, he said.
The minister told the PDP to call out the states, including those being controlled by it, to ensure a rigorous prosecution of arrested kidnappers and bandits.
Mohammed said the opposition party did not respect its own words, as it played cheap politics while playing the ostrich.
He noted that the party made wild accusations against the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government.
The minister said; “For example, the PDP said the government has refused to engage, and that we were running a ‘government of exclusion’, and not engaging stakeholders.”
Mohammed insisted that the current administration has consistently engaged Nigerians on topical national issues, including security, the fight against corruption, terrorism, infrastructure and farmer-herder conflict.
He said the latest of such Town Hall Meetings was the one in Kaduna and further listed the recommendations.
He recalled that the participants agreed: “That the governance of human society should be based on Law rather than the whims and caprices of human beings and must be obeyed by all as all persons are equal before the law including the lawgivers.
“That there is an urgent need for political restructuring and not separation; That the Judiciary be decentralized and reformed through Constitutional Amendment to remove the unitary control of the Superior Courts.
“That governments at all levels should ensure free, qualitative and compulsory Primary Education for all children of school age.
“That the Military, Police and other Security Agencies be expanded in number, retrained, provided with modern equipment and technology to cope with emerging security challenges.
“That both religious and traditional leaders encourage and promote inter-marriages for unity as contained in the 1999 Constitution as amended, Article 15, 3(c) which prescribes inter-marriage among persons from different places of origin, or of different religious, ethnic or linguistic association or ties.
“That the establishment of State Police be supported by the National and State Houses of Assembly to enable State Governments to have firm control in addressing security issues.
“That Traditional Rulers be given their age-long role of maintaining peace and security within their domain.
“That Local Government Autonomy be actualized to enable them have control of their areas including the ungoverned spaces in tackling security challenges.
“That the Farmers/Herders clashes be addressed by the establishment of ranches, grazing reserves with modern amenities to check the trans-humans of the herders.”
- Young lady posted to village as teacher sews uniforms for her poor studentsIn GossipMay 8, 2021A young lady who was posted to a remote village to work as a teacher for her Ghana national service programme, has become known as ‘The Sewing ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels’s Sister, Destiny Starts To Cash Out Big As She Bags Ambassadorial DealIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Regina Daniels’ younger sister, Destiny Daniels has already started following her sister as she has started bagging some ambassadorial ...[Read more]
- Akuapem Poloo Appreciates Her Muslim Fans By Dropping Some HAJIA PhotosIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Popular Ghanaian video vixen, Rosemond Brown who is known as Akuapem Poloo has appreciated her Muslim fans and followers with her ...[Read more]
- “You’ll be locked down” – Omotola Jalade shades artist that drew her portraitIn Celebrity NewsMay 8, 2021Veteran actress, Omotola Jalade-Ekehinde aimed a dig at an artist who tried to impress her by drawing her portrait, a move that went wrong. Social ...[Read more]
- “Everyday for thief, one for the owner” – James Brown mocks Bobrisky over rift with Ivorian PA (Video)In Celebrity NewsMay 8, 2021Nigerian cross-dresser, James Brown has reacted to the ongoing drama between Bobrisky and the Ivorian lady who tattooed his name on her body. Recall ...[Read more]
- Erica Reveals She Is Glowing Despite All The Stress In NigeriaIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT BBNaija star, Erica Ngozi Nlewedim has revealed she is not letting the stress in Nigeria affect her negatively. The beautiful reality ...[Read more]
- Princess Shyngle opens up on her health status after attempt to take her own lifeIn Celebrity NewsMay 8, 2021Popular curvy and endowed actress, Princess Shyngle has jokingly revealed the condition of her health after her latest divorce. Princess Shyngle has ...[Read more]
- Dangote’s Son-in-law, Jamil, Shares A Message He Got From An Indian Who Asked For $135mIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Jamil Abubakar revealed that the man known as Krishna Singh Rohra requested for money to the tune of $135million in order to help him ...[Read more]
- Rema Bags Juicy Deal With Monster Energy DrinkIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Young Nigerian musician, Divine Ikubor who is known as Rema has bagged a juicy ambassadorial deal with Monster Energy. This was ...[Read more]
- OAP, Kemi Smallz mourns death of her father with heartfelt tributeIn Celebrity NewsMay 8, 2021Popular On-Air Personality, Kemi Smallz has announced the passing away of her father, Mike Owatemi. Kemi Smallz who is ranked highly in the ...[Read more]