The Nigerian army has admitted on Saturday that soldiers were given both live and blank bullets when they were deployed to the grounds of the protest at Lekki toll gate on October 20.
This is the first time so far that the army has come clean with the carrying of live bullets to Lekki tollgate where the shooting of peaceful protesters had occurred. Their recent statement goes a long way to confirm the key finding of the independent CNN investigation regarding the shooting incident.
This recent statement from the army also contradicts their previous statements about the shooting incident including the one from Brigadier Taiwo himself who told the judicial panel previously that the soldiers were firing blank ammunition.
The disclosure was made in the course of being cross-examined by the Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Olumide Fusika from the commander of the 81 division of the Nigerian Army.
While giving out his testimony to the Lagos Judicial panel of inquiry into the incident, Brigadier General Ahmed Taiwo still maintained that the soldiers who opened fire used only blank bullets, adding that the live rounds sent there were for the safety of the army team.
“The soldiers they were both given both live and blank bullets. In this particular case, we saw that these protests had been infiltrated by some hoodlums,”
“You had peaceful protesters no doubt. But there were also hoodlums who sought to take advantage. That is why they were armed [with] blank bullets in addition to the live [bullets] they were carrying.”
- University of Ibadan Senate appoints Ekanola as Acting VCIn EducationNovember 30, 2020The Senate of the University of Ibadan on Monday elected an Acting Vice Chancellor, Professor Adebola Babatunde Ekanola. Newzandar News gathered that ...[Read more]
- Wizkid wins 2020 BET Soul Train Award, See Full List of WinnersIn Celebrity NewsNovember 30, 2020Nigerian singer, Ayo Balogun also known as Wizkid has won his second Soul Train Award alongside Beyoncé, for their collaboration “Brown Skin Girl” of ...[Read more]
- APC releases date and dateline for membership registrationIn Nigeria NewsNovember 30, 2020The All Progressives Congress (APC) has said that membership registration and revalidation has been scheduled to begin from Dec. 12 to Jan. 9, 2021. ...[Read more]
- “My Heart Bleeds” – President Buhari’s Daughter, Zahra, Reacts To The Killing Of Farmers In Borno State By Boko HaramIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsNovember 30, 2020President Buhari’s daughter Zahra Buhari has expressed her displeasure in the actions of the Boko Haram in killing some Nigerian Citizens. The Boko ...[Read more]
- NYC’s seven-day COVID-19 infection rate goes above 4 percentIn USANovember 30, 2020New York City’s COVID-19 infection rate on a seven-day average has ticked above 4 percent for the first time in several months, Mayor Bill de Blasio ...[Read more]
- Florence Ajimobi Celebrates 40th Wedding Anniversary With Her late Husband, Abiola Ajimobi (VIDEO)In Celebrity NewsNovember 30, 2020The wife of former Oyo State Governor, Abiola Ajimobi, Florence Ajimobi has taken to social media today, November 30 to celebrate her 40th wedding ...[Read more]
- FLAWLESS BEAUTY: Ufuoma McDermott Glows In Latest PhotosIn Celebrity NewsNovember 30, 2020Popular actress, Ufuoma McDermott, is a stunner in the latest set of photos she released on social media. – Advertisement – The beautiful ...[Read more]
- Kidnapped Wife Of Ondo State Chief Of Staff FreedIn Local NewsNovember 30, 2020It has been reported that the wife of the Ondo State Chief of Staff, Olugbenga Ale, identified as Sade Ale, has been freed from the camp of ...[Read more]
- Tacha Dragged To Filth After She Disclosed Her Real AgeIn BBNaija, Celebrity NewsNovember 30, 2020Former Big Brother Naija housemate and serial entrepreneur, Natacha Akide, better known by fans as Tacha has come under severe backlash on social ...[Read more]
- US condemns massacre of rice farmers in Zabarmari, Borno State by Boko Haram insurgentsIn Boko HaramNovember 30, 2020The United States has condemned the recent massacre of rice farmers in Zabarmari, Borno State by Boko Haram insurgents. The terrorists beheaded the ...[Read more]