A PREMIUM TIMES publication reveals that a Nigerian journalist called Jaafar Jaafar, has fled the country to the United Kingdom over alleged threats to his life.
Mr. Jaafar, who spoke with PREMIUM TIMES in a telephone interview on Sunday, said he has relocated with his family and will not be returning to the country ‘until the coast is clear.’
The newspaper publisher, who was recently invited by the police over alleged defamation of the police chief’s character, said he will only return to Nigeria when the government can guarantee his safety.
Mr. Jaafar’s ordeals started about a month after Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje revealed that those behind a video of him collecting bribes would be brought to shame.
Recall that Mr. Jaafar’s Daily Nigerian newspaper had in October 2018, published a video that showed Mr. Ganduje collecting money in dollars from a government contractor. In the video, the governor was seen collecting the dollars before rolling them into his white dress, called “babanriga,” in one of a series of questionable deals allegedly struck over a span of several months.
On a BBC Hausa programme, ‘Afada Acika’, the governor in March this year insisted the video was manipulated. Mr Jaafar has insisted the video is authentic and independent checks including one by PREMIUM TIMES showed the original video was not doctored.
The Nigeria Police Force, last month wrote to Mr Jaafar inviting him for questioning. However, Mr Jaafar, went into hiding saying he was scared for his life.
Information from PREMIUM TIMES was used in this report
- Women’s FA Cup Round of 32 draw heldIn GhanaMay 10, 2021Advertisement The draw for the round of 32 of the 2020/21 Women’s FA Cup season took place on Monday, May 10, 2021. The Teams were grouped into five ...[Read more]
- Nigerians in diaspora with expired passports can come back home for renewal – FGIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, says Nigerians in diaspora with expired passports can return home for the renewal “without fear of ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: FG re-imposes curfew, restriction on mass gatheringIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021The Federal Government has re-introduced a nationwide curfew to curtail further spread of COVID-19. National Incident Manager, Mukhtar Mohammed, ...[Read more]
- No Body Has A Manual To Keep A Man – Nkechi Blessing Subtly ShadesIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Actress Nkechi Blessing has subtly shaded her colleagues whose marriage has ended saying no one has a manual to keep a man and a ...[Read more]
- “There’s nothing worse than a broke famous person” – DJ Big NIn Celebrity NewsMay 10, 2021Nigerian hip-hop Dj Big N dishes out advice to entrepreneurs and his fans as he disclosed there’s nothing worse than a broke famous person. Big N ...[Read more]
- NYC shootings keep soaring, up 86 percent over 2020: NYPD dataIn USAMay 10, 2021The gun violence in Gotham more than doubled last week — capped by a wild shooting in Times Square that left a 4-year-old girl among three people ...[Read more]
- “Nobody has a manual to keep a man” – Nkechi Blessing renders advice to ladiesIn Celebrity NewsMay 10, 2021Nollywood actress, Nkechi Blessing Sunday has disclosed that there’s no manual in keeping a man that has refused to stay with his woman. She took to ...[Read more]
- I No Get Sugar Daddy, Pls Patronize Me – Tacha Cries Out (Video)In Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT BBNaij a star Tacha ADVERTISEMENT has cried out to her fans and followers and all Nigerians begging them to patronize her as she ...[Read more]
- Leopard still on the loose a week after escaping from Chinese zooIn LifestyleMay 10, 2021This big cat is still on the lam. Weeks after three leopards escaped from an eastern China safari park, one is still at large — and the park is ...[Read more]
- NYC subway stations will now offer COVID-19 vaccinesIn USAMay 10, 2021Some Big Apple subways and LIRR and Metro-North stations are being turned into pop-up COVID-19 vaccination sites this week in an effort to boost ...[Read more]