Augustine Omini Obono, a Nigerian national residing in South Africa, has been sentenced to three life terms for sexually violating and exploiting a 12-year-old girl in the Republic of South Africa.
He was sentenced for human trafficking, rape, statutory rape, and the sexual exploitation of a minor girl in the Gauteng High Court in Benoni on Thursday, April 29.
Ad. Click here to redeem your gift cards for naira and get paid instantly, 100% secured trading platform.
Obono, 44, who has been in custody since 2016 following his arrest, was also slapped with seven years for keeping the victim in a brothel and an additional three years for kidnapping the minor.
According to the police, on 3 September 2016, the minor was at a recreational park in Derdepoort when she met a woman, who asked her to accompany her to a flat in Sunnyside, Pretoria.
The woman told the girl she would meet Obono, who was unknown to the victim at the time. The woman promised the minor that she would be given transport money to go to Mamelodi the following morning.
When they arrived at the flat, the woman handed the minor over to Obono. The minor was subsequently sexually exploited and forced to work as a prostitute.
National Prosecuting Authority regional spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said Obono kept the victim in his flat, against her will, for three months.
Oboni demanded that the child make him money by prostituting herself. When she refused. he assaulted and raped her repeatedly. He allegedly locked her up sometimes without food and supplied her with drugs to get her addicted so he could control her.
“During that period, Obono fed the minor drugs and forced her to have sex with between five to six men a day. In December 2016, the victim managed to flee and went to her uncle’s place in Mamelodi,” Mahanjana stated.
“When she arrived, she informed her uncle about her ordeal. The uncle reported the matter to the police. The victim pointed out the flat where she was kept against her will. When police arrived at the flat, they found Obono and arrested him,” Mahanjana said.
The minor is currently undergoing counselling.
- Man sentenced to two life terms for raping and killing 9-year-old girl in South Africa
- Gang which kept 14-year-old girl as sex slave for a month arrested in Bauchi state
- South African shopkeeper sentenced to life imprisonment for raping 5-year-old girl who went to buy biscuits in his store
- How I Was Forced To Sleep With Over 50 Men During My Initiation – Girl Narrates
- Grandmother Arrested For Using 7-year-old Granddaughter As Sex Slave (VIDEO)
- Woman Arrested For Using Seven-Year-Old Granddaughter As Sex Slave In Enugu
- 31-year-old man who raped a 7-year-old girl in Edo state sentenced to 9 years in prison
- 20-year-old man sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for raping eight-year-old girl in Ogun
- 31-year-old man sentenced to 9 years in prison for raping 7-year-old girl in Edo state
- 70-year-old man sentenced to death by stoning for raping a 12-year-old girl