The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, and the Nigeria Union of Teachers, NUT, have reacted after the United States Government disclosed that Nigerian parents spent over N190 billion on their children’s education in the country last year.
According to the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, and the Nigeria Union of Teachers, NUT, the revelation is a clear indictment on the education sector in Nigeria.
The Chairman of the University of Ilorin Branch of ASUU, Prof. Moyosore Ajao, bemoaned the development as he was engaged in an interview.
He said: “This is what we have been saying all along that the government wants to kill public schools in the country by starving them of funds and not doing the needful. We have been calling for improved funding of the sector so that our universities would not become glorified secondary schools.
“The development has confirmed what we have been saying and has vindicated us. Imagine the pressure the huge sum spent on foreign education would put on our scarce foreign exchange. It is only the politicians who can afford to send children abroad now. How many average Nigerians can do that now,?
“It is unfortunate. Now, we have some people kidnapping hapless students and demanding N800 million ransom. An educated person who values education would not do that. Look at the parlous state of our schools. I know if you go back to the public primary school you attended, it would be in a story state now.
“If we do not get it right at the primary school level, the secondary school level cannot be okay and if we do not get it right at secondary school level, the tertiary level cannot be good. The irony of it all is that only the privileged few are able to afford foreign education for their children and they are watching as the public school system is collapsing, ”
Source: www.Newzandar News.com
- NUT suspends Kwara NUT chair, secretary for alleged fraud
- ASUU, NUT, NASU, SSANU others give conditions for reopening of schools
- ASUU accuses AGF, ministry of sabotage
- SPN condemns NUT over call for reintroduction of education levies in Oyo schools
- ASUU is responsible for EndSARS, Minister of Labour blast ASUU
- ASUU to FG: Raise funds for education like you did for COVID-19
- “Nothing Wrong In Taking Up Farming As A Profession” – Ministry of Education Replies ASUU
- ‘Seinfeld’: One Actor Got Fired for Terrorizing Actors and Being a ‘Nut Job’
- WAEC exam: You must not go ahead without FG’s participation ― NUT, NAPTAN tell states
- You must not enrol for WAEC without FG’s participation, NUT, NAPTAN tell states