Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, spoke at the Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday, denying the allegation that his fleeing the country in September 2017 amounts to him jumping bail.
He said he only escaped to safety after the military invaded his house.Kanu, who is being prosecuted on charges of treasonable felony, was re-arrested and returned to Nigeria on Sunday, the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, said earlier on Tuesday.
The AGF said, at a press conference in his office in Abuja, that the IPOB leader was arrested through “collaborative efforts of Nigerian intelligence and security services.”
The trial judge, Binta Nyako, ordered the detention of Kanu in the custody of the State Security Service (SSS) at his first court appearance since 2017 on Tuesday.
The judge also granted an accelerated hearing in the trial involving charges of treasonable felony filed against him.
Nyako, in the light of her order of accelerated hearing, brought the case earlier scheduled to come up on October 20, forward to July 26 and 27, 2023.
Earlier at Tuesday’s proceedings, the prosecuting counsel, Magaji Labaran moved an ex parte application urging the court to remand Mr Kanu in the SSS custody in Abuja.
He anchored his request on the grounds that the IPOB leader violated the conditions of the bail earlier granted him by the court.
After Mr Labaran’s submissions, Mr Kanu sought the trial judge’s permission to speak.
“I did not jump bail, My lord,” the IPOB leader said.
“I only went underground when the Nigerian armed forces raided my residence in Abia State, which led to the death of some people. So, I had to run for my safety,” Kanu explained.
The judge went on to order him remanded in SSS custody and adjourned the trial till July 26.
Nigerian News – CorrectNG
- Family Of IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu Speaks On His Rearrest By Nigerian Government
- Biafra: Asari Dokubo linked to Nnamdi Kanu’s rearrest by Buhari govt
- British High Commission ‘in talks’ with FG over Nnamdi Kanu’s rearrest
- Nnamdi Kanu’s rearrest: Nigeria sitting on time bomb – Biafra group dares Buhari
- IPOB Clears The Air On Report Linking Nnamdi Kanu’s Rearrest To Wike, Ifeanyi Uba
- Nnamdi Kanu is just a common criminal – Arewa youths reacts on rearrest of IPOB leader
- Nnamdi Kanu’s Rearrest: Nigerians Now Understand Why Buhari Postponed UK Trip – Joe Igbokwe Rejoices
- Nnamdi Kanu Was Arrested In Kenya – Nnamdi Kanu’s Sibling Reveals
- Nnamdi Kanu does not speak for the Igbo Nation, Joe Igbokwe blast Nnamdi Kanu
- How I Escaped From Police Detention, Suspected Ibadan Serial Killer Sunday Shodipe Confesses After Rearrest