The Kaduna State Police Command has reported that one student of the College of Education Gidan waya Kafanchan in Kaduna State died after being injured in a conflict between police officers and students protesting a tuition hike.
According to reports, the student was killed when security personnel attempted to separate the protesters violently.
According to a statement issued by the command’s spokesman, DSP Mohammed Jalige, on Monday evening, three students were first hurt while operatives were shooting intermittently to maintain peace in the area.
According to him, the three pupils were brought to the hospital, where one was pronounced dead.
He stated that normalcy had been restored to the area after the state’s Commissioner of Police, CP UM Muri, advised students and the institution’s management to remain calm.
The statement reads,
“Today Monday 28th June, 2023 at about 0800hrs the Command was informed of the protest and road blockade by the students of College of Education Gidan waya Kafanchan over the recent increase in tuition fee by the Kaduna State Government.
“On receipt of the information, the Command immediately dispatched Operatives to restore normalcy.
“The contingent professionally and successfully dispersed the protesters and warned them not to embark on further protest and road blockade considering the existing warning against such action, issued by the Kaduna state Police Command a fortnight ago.
“However, at about 0930hrs, information has it that the students re-converged again and blocked the Gidan Waya – Kafanchan Federal Highway and were becoming unruly and riotous.
“At a point, the protesters blocked the convoy of a military sector Commander injuring him and one other.
“The situation resulted into a fracas where three (3) protesters were injured in attempt to use minimal force to disperse the riotous students.
“The victims were taken to the Hospital for medical attention but unfortunately one person died while receiving medical attention.
“The Commissioner of Police Kaduna Command CP UM Muri urged the students to embrace dialogue as it is best alternative way to express their grievances while assuring them of diligent investigation into the immediate and remote causes of the fracas that resulted to injuries to the students and the unfortunate loss of life.”
- COVID-19: One student, one facemask as Oyo lists guidelines for students’ resumption
- Father of one of the students kidnapped from Kaduna school dies from heart attack
- Father of one of the abducted Kaduna students dies of heart attack
- Father Of One Of Abducted Students Dies From Heart Attack In Kaduna
- We planned to attack abductors of Kaduna Forestry students even if it meant killing the students – Governor El-Rufai
- Kaduna abduction: Student’s father dies from heart attack
- Anas, Kaduna Polytechnic Student Reportedly Dies In His Sleep
- Kaduna school abduction: 180 rescued, many students still missing -Kaduna state government
- Kaduna School Abduction: 180 Students Rescued, Many Still Missing – Kaduna State Gov’t
- One Student Dead, Two Lecturers And 8 Others Abducted As Gunmen Attack Polytechnic In Kaduna