Auwal Daudawa, the bandit leader who claimed to have masterminded the abduction of 344 students in government science secondary school, Kankara in Katsina State, has allegedly gone back to the forest weeks after he announced his repentance and surrendered his arms.
Recall that he and five of his lieutenants surrendered 20 AK-47 rifles, ammunition and a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) launcher to the Zamfara state government on February 8 and denounced their affiliation to the bandits, promising never to go back to the crime.
However, Newzandar News reports that Daudawa has now returned to the forest to take up arms.
Daudawa reportedly packed his family and his lieutenants back to Jaja forest in Zurmi Local Government on Monday, April 26.
A source said told Newzandar News; “He called one of his contacts in Gusau to inform him that he had arrived at the forest and decided to pick up arms again. He did not inform anybody before he left”
The repentant bandit leader was said to have been frustrated by the lack of proper engagement after he had laid down his arms. He and members of his gang who repented were housed in a government chalet for weeks before a house was secured for him in Damba, in the outskirts of Gusau, to move in with his family.
“His upkeep was being shouldered by the government. I don’t know what it was he needed. Perhaps his tall expectations were not met,” a security source in Gusau disclosed.
Security analysts in the state say Daudawa’s action is a major setback for the peace deal and amnesty for bandits being championed by the Zamfara State Governor, Bello Matawalle.
- Repentant mastermind of Kankara schoolboys abduction who took up arms again, killed by rival gang days after returning to the forest
- Alleged mastermind of Kankara schoolboys abduction repents and surrenders his rifles to Zamfara state govt
- Auwal Daudawa, Mastermind of Kankara School Abduction Shot Dead
- Kankara: Boko Haram breaks silence, gives reason for abduction of schoolboys
- Kankara schoolboys abduction: Buhari is safe in Katsina – DHQ
- Kankara schoolboys abduction: Nigeria is almost becoming a failed nation â CAN
- Governor Masari declines to comment on why President Buhari is yet to visit Kankara after abduction of schoolboys (video)
- Kankara schoolboys abduction: PDP House of Representatives’ members demand impeachment of Buhari
- Kankara: FG reacts to claims that abduction of schoolboys was staged
- ”What is called terror in Nigeria is most likely a big scam being played at our expense” â Afenifere reacts to the abduction and rescue of Kankara schoolboys