The Nigerian Senate has rejected the confirmation of Lauretta Onochie as a National Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
Chairman of the Senate Committee on INEC, Kabiru Gaya, announced the rejection of Onochie on Tuesday during plenary following the opposition of Nigerians to her nomination.
In its report, the committee said Onochie did not satisfy the provisions of the Federal Character Principles.
Also, the Senate stepped down nomination of Prof. Sani Adamu as an INEC Commissioner.
Onochie is President Muhammadu Buhari’s social media aide and a card carrying member of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, although during her screening, she claimed to have stopped being a member in 2019.
There had been several objections to Onochie’s nomination and subsequent screening by the National Assembly as civil society organisations and the leading opposition party, PDP said it contravenes the INEC act which stipulates that no party affiliate or partisan member should be made an INEC commissioner or staff.
Nigerian News – CorrectNG
- Senate screens Buhari’s aide, Lauretta Onochie as INEC commissioner
- ‘Buhari’ s Aide, Lauretta Onochie Is Not Qualified As INEC Commissioner— Angry Reactions Of Nigerians Trail Her Senate Screening
- Aisha And Other Nigerians Kicks Against Lauretta Onochie’s Nomination As INEC Commissioner
- I Am Madam Due Process – Lauretta Onochie Talks About Being After Her Nomination As INEC Commissioner
- Don’t Force Your Aide, Lauretta Onochie On Nigerians As Electoral Commissioner, Northern Group Tells Buhari
- Amid Outrage, Senate Begins Screening Of Buhari’s Aide, Lauretta Onochie, Others As Electoral Officers
- BREAKING: Despite Condemnation By Nigerians, Senate Sets To Clear Buhari’s Aide, Onochie As INEC Commissioner
- Change must come from all – Lauretta Onochie
- NDDC alleged fraud: Battle shifts to Court as Nwaoboshi threatens to drag Lauretta Onochie to Court
- Nwaoboshi Vs Lauretta Onochie: ‘I have a right for oversight functions’