Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, on Wednesday, asked the Committee on the Independent National Electoral Commission to screen for confirmation, the appointments of Lauretta Onochie, and five others as INEC commissioners.
The development came eight months after the President Muhammadu Buharisent the list of the nominees to the Senate for screening.
It was learnt that protests among the Peoples Democratic Party members in the red chamber halted the process of the screening as the opposition federal lawmakers were said to have accused Onochie, who is presently a presidential spokesperson, of unnecessarily casting aspersions on their party.
They also faulted the idea of making Onochie, a card-carrying member of the All Progressives Congress as an INEC Commissioner to represent Delta State on the board of the commission.
Other names on the list are, Prof. Muhammad Kallah (Katsina); Prof. Kunle Ajayi (Ekiti); Saidu Ahmad (Jigawa); Prof Sani Adam (North- Central); and Dr Baba Bila (North-East).
The Senate INEC panel, which has Senator Kabiru Gaya as Chairman, has four weeks to conclude the screening and report back to the red chamber at plenary.
Nigerian News – CorrectNG
- ‘Buhari’ s Aide, Lauretta Onochie Is Not Qualified As INEC Commissioner— Angry Reactions Of Nigerians Trail Her Senate Screening
- Senate bows to pressure, rejects Lauretta Onochie as INEC Commissioner
- I Am Madam Due Process – Lauretta Onochie Talks About Being After Her Nomination As INEC Commissioner
- Aisha And Other Nigerians Kicks Against Lauretta Onochie’s Nomination As INEC Commissioner
- Don’t Force Your Aide, Lauretta Onochie On Nigerians As Electoral Commissioner, Northern Group Tells Buhari
- Amid Outrage, Senate Begins Screening Of Buhari’s Aide, Lauretta Onochie, Others As Electoral Officers
- BREAKING: Despite Condemnation By Nigerians, Senate Sets To Clear Buhari’s Aide, Onochie As INEC Commissioner
- “The ‘mummy calm down’ video is a clear case of child abuse and not discipline” – Pres. Buhari’s aide, Lauretta Onochie
- Presidential aide, Lauretta Onochie, explains why President Buhari doesn’t wear face mask
- The Nigerian music superstar, Wizkid has slammed Presidential social media aide, Lauretta Onochie, See why