Former Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar has slammed the Buhari administration for its poor leadership in the face of crisis.
According to him, the extravagant lifestyles of elected officials is a demonstration of insensitivity as poverty is decimating the people. He noted that we can’t tell ordinary people to make sacrifices, while elected officials are reluctant to take the lead in making those sacrifices.
Taking to his twitter page, he shared an article he had written on his personal website to mark the May Day celebration.
His article read: As we commemorate this year’s Workers Day, we must note that in our ever hostile economic environment, the condition of Nigerian workers remains worrisome — a situation that makes saving and survival almost impossible.
Even what we call basic food items are unaffordable, and we are in a situation where the price of a bag of rice is nearly at par with the value of our minimum wage.
The increase in the national minimum wage has been matched or neutralised by astronomical inflation that is accelerating at a breathtaking rate almost daily. Even the locally produced foods are prohibitively expensive.
The Nigerian workers have never had it so bad. The impacts of the lockdown and worsening inflation have taken their heaviest toll on the working class. The situation is so bad that they are now living from hands to mouth.
It is almost inarguable that in the face of such low morale and poor motivation, productivity will inevitably take a nose dive amongst our workforce.
Let me be clear, these challenges of economic survival are not limited to the civil servants alone. They affect the working class at all levels, including artisans and other low-income groups struggling desperately to put food on the table in the face of declining incomes and rising inflation.
I urge that in the face of widespread extreme poverty and declining incomes among the economically vulnerable Nigerians, political office holders must urgently review the costs of governance to bring them in line with our economic realities and the deplorable conditions of average citizens.
The extravagant lifestyles of elected officials, while poverty is decimating the people, is a demonstration of insensitivity. We can’t tell ordinary people to make sacrifices, while elected officials are reluctant to take the lead in making those sacrifices. Elected and appointed officials must, at all levels, cut down on their extravagant expenditures at the expense of the people.
Despite these challenges, however, let us not lose hope in our country. Nigeria is bigger than those who preside over our affairs. We have more common interests that unite us than things that divide us. Let us not allow anyone to use us as fighting tools while they are busy protecting their own interests.
- Video shows ‘hero’ NYPD cop running with wounded child after Times Square shootingIn USAMay 9, 2021Stunning surveillance footage captures a “hero” female cop frantically running through Times Square with the youngest victim of Saturday’s shooting ...[Read more]
- “Never set out to make money from your customers” – Reno Omokri warn entrepreneursIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Public speaker and author, Reno Omokri has urged entrepreneurs to desist from making money from their customers, urging them to add meaning to their ...[Read more]
- “New meme loading” – Reactions as Osita Iheme “Pawpaw” shares photo of himself drinking waterIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Netizens react as a veteran pint-size actor, Osita Iheme, popularly known as “Pawpaw” shares a cool picture of himself drinking table water. The ...[Read more]
- MTA’s Sarah Feinberg says subway safety will improve as riders returnIn USAMay 9, 2021New York City’s subways will be safer once the subways hit 4 or 5 million daily riders, Interim Transit President Sarah Feinberg said Sunday — while ...[Read more]
- Niger boat accident death toll hits 28In Local News, NewsMay 9, 2021The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) busted a drug cartel that sells drugged cookies, cakes, and brownies to residents of Abuja and ...[Read more]
- Abuja: NDLEA bursts cartel selling drugs online, arrests 5In Local NewsMay 9, 2021The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) busted a drug cartel that sells drugged cookies, cakes, and brownies to residents of Abuja and ...[Read more]
- Man Renounces His Position In His Family As The First BornIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT A man identified as Kingsley Ifeanyi has renounced his position as the firstborn in his family. Obviously overwhelmed by the enormity ...[Read more]
- “I can do without s3x for two years” – Mr Ibu revealsIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Veteran Nollywood actor and comedian, John Okafor, popularly known as Mr. Ibu has disclosed that he can abstain from having sexual intercourse with a ...[Read more]
- “If you don’t know me, you’ll think I am arrogant” – Omotola Jalade (Video)In Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Veteran Nollywood actress, Omotola Jalade-Ekehinde has opened up on some of her personal life which fans and lovers don’t seem to understand. Often ...[Read more]
- Young man caught for allegedly stealing a generator and a mattress in Delta stateIn Viral NewsMay 9, 2021A young man has been apprehended for allegedly stealing a generator and a mattress in Delta state. According to a report, the incident occurred in ...[Read more]