According to a viral report we just sighted on Linda Ikeji blog, a woman from Zimbabwe has been busted for killing her stepson and tried to burn her stepdaughter to death to pave way for her to inherit their father’s properties.
The lady, Alice Chikono allegedly killed the 6-year old boy, Dean Dube with her bare hands on Easter Friday and hid his body in the house. She then allegedly locked his sister in the bedroom after switching on a stove and covering it with a blanket, apparently hoping the blanket would catch fire and set the room on fire.
From the publication on LIB, we gathered that Chikono allegedly fled to Harare after making a false report to the police claiming the boy was missing. However, there was a power cut soon after she left the house thereby putting her plans off rail.
It was gathered that the suspect had allegedly been planning to kill the children for more than one year.
She was arrested in Harare on Saturday, April 3, where she had fled to and she was arraigned before Kwekwe magistrate Mrs Florence Nago facing a murder charge. Nago did not ask her to plead and remanded her in custody to 17 April.
According to court papers, Chikono strangled the boy to death “so that she would inherit the house belonging to his father, Mr Tonywell Dube,49, since he was the only son.”
The father granted an interview to The Chronicle and said;
“I was away at work when I was called that the boy was missing so I was constantly checking whether he had been found. I was only called by relatives and advised to rush home but they did not tell me what had happened. When I arrived, that is when I was told about the incident. It broke my heart and I am still in pain,” said Mr Dube fighting back tears.
After Chikono’s arrest in the capital, Mr Dube managed to talk to her on what led her to commit the crime.
“She told me that the plan had been in the pipeline for over a year. Her aunt (name withheld) who is based in Gokwe, was the one who was nagging her to kill Dean since he was the only son and if I die, it was going to be hard for her to inherit my house,” said Mr Dube.
She told me that she throttled the boy with her hands until he died while outside the house. She dragged the body inside the house before locking the elder sister who is about eight years old in the other room before attempting to burn down the house,” said Dube.
A neighbour, on condition of anonymity, said a power cut saved the life of the girl, whose name was not given.
“The girl is very lucky to be alive because Chikono switched on the stove and put a blanket on the stove so that it catches fire which was supposed to then spread to the rest of the room. She then fled to Harare. But soon after she did that, there was a power outage. That is what saved the girl,” said the neighbour.
He said after Chikono made a false police report that the boy was missing, the community organised a search party as they were unaware that he was already dead.
“We became suspicious when we found the doors locked as we came to check on progress. That is when we forcibly broke the door and entered inside only to find a lifeless body and the girl crying in the bedroom which was also locked. That is how we found out that she had killed the boy,” said the neighbour.
The boy’s body has since been ferried to Bulawayo where it awaits post-moterm.
- Akuapem Poloo granted bail after thousands signed petition for her freedomIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentApril 21, 2021Nollywood actress, Tonto Dikeh has pleaded to the Ghanaian government to release actress, Akuampe Poloo who was jailed for nudity. DAILY POST recalls ...[Read more]
- Actress, Kemi Afolabi Opens Up On Her Current Health Challenges, Says She Has Not Been Able To WorkIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT Kemi Afolabi who was reported to be hit with an undisclosed illness intimated on her Instagram page that the last time ...[Read more]
- UEFA releases statement after EPL clubs withdrew from European Super LeagueIn EPL, SportsApril 21, 2021Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, has been left “furious” at how the European Super League saga played out as he fears for the damage to his status, ...[Read more]
- Photos: Actress Stephanie Okereke Celebrates 9th Wedding Anniversary With HusbandIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Actress Stephanie Okereke Linus is marking nine years since she got married t her husband Idahosa. Today April 21, marks their 9th ...[Read more]
- Stephanie Okereke Linus & Lovely Hubby Celebrates 9th Wedding AnniversaryIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Renowned Nigerian actress, Stephanie Okereke Linus and her lovely husband, Idahosa are celebrating their 9th wedding anniversary. The ...[Read more]
- We Did Not Discuss Pantami’s Issue At FEC- Lai MohammedIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has refused to react over the terrorist allegation levelled against the Minister of Communication ...[Read more]
- Toke Makinwa Searches For A Unicorn For A HusbandIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Toke Makinwa is not happy men she wants to fall in love with or come her way are carrying extra baggage and has therefore decided to ...[Read more]
- Biting worms invade coast to mate: ‘You may not want to go swimming’In LifestyleApril 21, 2021Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water. A mere year after US beaches started reopening post-lockdown, a biblical plague of biting ...[Read more]
- European Super League: Roman Abramovich reportedly furious with ChelseaIn SportsApril 21, 2021Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, has been left “furious” at how the European Super League saga played out as he fears for the damage to his status, ...[Read more]
- Speaker, Gbajabiamila blocks Elumelu’s motion seeking Pantami’s sackIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021The House of Representatives Minority Leader, Ndudi Elumelu, on Wednesday, urged the House to demand resignation or sack of the Minister of ...[Read more]