The European Champions for 2018-2019 season Liverpool would begin their Champions League outing on Wednesday evening as they take a trip to Amsterdam to face Ajax in their Group D first match.
The Liverpool side will be looking to record their first win of October at the fourth attempt after they were held to a pulsating 2-2 draw by Carlo Ancelotti’s Everton side at the weekend.
They dropped two points owing to a dubious VAR intervention that cost them in the derby. The Reds also lost a number of key players to injury and therefore travel to Holland with an injury-laden squad.
Here, DAILYPOST takes a look at how the German boss Jurgen Klopp could line-up his side.
Absent: Alisson Becker (shoulder), Virgil Van Dijk (Knee), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee).
Possible: Naby Keita (coronavirus), Joel Matip (muscle), Kostas Tsimikas (thigh), Thiago Alcantara (knee).
The Reds will be without two players most eulogized as turning them into a European force again for this tie, as both Virgil Van Dijk and goalkeeper Alisson Becker are absent from the fixture.
Liverpool may have to play without their pivotal centre-back Van Dijk for the remainder of the season.
After it was revealed that he will undergo surgery on the ACL injury he coped up following Jordan Pickford’s reckless challenge in the Merseyside derby match with Everton.
However, there is better news concerning goaltender Alisson, as he is likely to return from his shoulder injury before the end of the month.
This means Adrian would be in goal as he continues to deputize for the Brazilian (shot-stopper) safe hands after his error played a big part in Liverpool’s elimination in the hands of Athletico Madrid last term.
Defender Van Dijk is not the only Reds player on the receiving end of a knee-high challenge in Saturday’s derby as Richarlison’s red-card tackle on man of the match Thiago Alcantara has left the former Bayern star as a major doubt for this game.
Thiago will be assessed ahead of the trip to Amsterdam through the problem is not as serious as first feared. But he is expected to still be absent.
To add salt to injury following the trip to Goodison Park, Joel Matip is also a doubt after going through scans on a slight muscle problem he sustained.
This further limits Liverpool-center-back options for the Reds, should the Cameroonian miss out in action then Fabinho is expected to drop into center back alongside Joe Gomez.
Skipper Jordan Henderson is likely to fill the defensive midfield role in Thiago’s absence. Naby Keita is back available for the Liverpool guns after testing negative for the coronavirus.
He could be thrown straight into the Liverpool XI due to personnel changes necessitated by Klopp.
The front three is likely to remain the same, although Roberto Firmino poor start to the campaign has seen some protest for him to be kept aside, with Diogo Jota waiting in the wings.
Firmino is one of only two players-alongside French star Kylian Mbappe to have reached double figures for both goals and assist in the UEFA Champions League since his debut in the competition in 2017-18.
Though, directly contributing to 26 goals in 33 matches during in that time.
If he starts again it would be his 50th game appearance in a UEFA club competition.
Ajax Amsterdam vs. Liverpool: How Liverpool could line-up against Dutch side Ajax Amsterdam
Adrian; Trent Alexander Arnold, Fabinho, Joe Gomez, Andrew Robertson; Jordan Henderson, Naby Keita, Georginio Wijnaldum; Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino.
- Comedienne Taaooma And Her Fiancé, Abula, Serve Couple Goals In New VideoIn Celebrity NewsDecember 1, 2020Popular Instagram comedienne, Apaokagi Adedoyin Maryam, better known as Taaooma and her fiancé, Abula have shown their fans and followers how couple ...[Read more]
- Linda Ikeji Displays The Expensive Interior Of Her 2020 Range Rover Autobiography 3 Months After Her 40th BirthdayIn Celebrity NewsDecember 1, 2020On her birthday, Linda Ikeji announced that she will be surprising herself with a Range Rover Autobiography (The Long Wheel Edition). She celebrated ...[Read more]
- Famous BBNaija Stars Who Are Related (+ Housemates Related To Celebrities)In BBNaija, Celebrity NewsDecember 1, 2020Big Brother Nigeria is a reality show where about 20 or fewer contestants compete for a large cash prize and other souvenirs in an isolated house. ...[Read more]
- “Mumu! How Many People You Help?” – Fan Turns The Heat On Regina Daniels After Her Post About KindnessIn Celebrity NewsDecember 1, 2020Regina Daniels has faced the wrath of some fans after her post which urged people to be more charitable. As it mostly happens, celebrities tend to ...[Read more]
- Six Corps Members Reportedly Test Positive For Coronavirus In AbiaIn Celebrity NewsDecember 1, 2020The novel coronavirus is still with us as efforts are underway to get an effective vaccine for the virus continues. – Advertisement – In ...[Read more]
- Linda Ikeji Flaunts Her New Purchased 2020 Range Rover Worth Over N57 Million (Photos/Videos)In Celebrity NewsDecember 1, 2020Africa’s content queen, Linda Ikeji has taken to social media to show that indeed she loves to spend money unapologetically as she proudly flaunts ...[Read more]
- “Reduce Your Potbelly If You Don’t Have Money, We’re Tired Of Respecting The Wrong People” – Singer Jaywon Cries OutIn Celebrity NewsDecember 1, 2020Popular Nigerian singer, Iledare Olajuwonlo, professionally known in the showbiz industry as, Jaywon, has sarcastically pleaded with individuals ...[Read more]
- NYU unfairly suspended student for breaking COVID-19 rules: suitIn USADecember 1, 2020An NYU student says she was unfairly suspended after getting stuck on a boat ride where others weren’t following coronavirus rules, according to new ...[Read more]
- New HIV cases in NYC down 70% from 2001 numbersIn USADecember 1, 2020The number of people diagnosed with HIV in New York City last year was 70 percent lower than in 2001, officials said Tuesday. There were 1,772 people ...[Read more]
- Nurses at New Rochelle hospital strike amid COVID-19 surgeIn USADecember 1, 2020Hundreds of nurses at a Westchester County hospital went on strike Tuesday — accusing their health-care system of underpaying them and creating ...[Read more]